Speed to ONT

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by atrasatti » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:31 am
I am wondering if there is a way for me or Sonic to measure the speed up to the ONT.

I recently installed a router that supports 10Gb, running a speed test from the router reports pretty consistently speeds between 5 and 6Gb. These make me think the router is doing well above 1Gb, the cable is likely also well above 1Gb, but I never get close to 10. I am trying to debug if there's an issue somewhere or if the advertised "up to 10Gb" is just not even close to common
by brandonc » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:00 am
atrasatti wrote:I am wondering if there is a way for me or Sonic to measure the speed up to the ONT.

I recently installed a router that supports 10Gb, running a speed test from the router reports pretty consistently speeds between 5 and 6Gb. These make me think the router is doing well above 1Gb, the cable is likely also well above 1Gb, but I never get close to 10. I am trying to debug if there's an issue somewhere or if the advertised "up to 10Gb" is just not even close to common
Hi there,

Are you running the speed test via a browser-based test, a speed test app, or another way? Browsers generally can't keep up with the full 10gbps, so FTP or a native app is necessary to achieve full-speed results.

Regarding testing directly from the ONT, you can bypass your router and plug your device directly into the ONT into the same port the router uses, then rerun the speed test from there. This should provide the full speed that is reaching the ONT.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by atrasatti » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:03 pm
The router has a utility to test from it, I'm assuming they use a client installed on it.

I actually don't have a 10Gb ethernet so plugging in directly isn't an option
by virtualmike » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:55 pm
atrasatti wrote:The router has a utility to test from it, I'm assuming they use a client installed on it.
Do you get to choose anything about the speed test? Perhaps the server with which it is communicating is on congested routes?

I have a Google Nest mesh system, and the router does speed tests by connecting to YouTube servers. The documentation makes that clear. I can't change it, but at least I know what to consider if the speed is lower than I would expect. I have 500 Mbps service, and most of the time, the router's speed test is 535-545 Mbps.
by atrasatti » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:30 am
No choice, just a button. I'm guessing it's Ookla's.

I have seen speeds of around 9Gbit, but not for the past month or so. Coincidentally I had received and email that Sonic was planning intrusive maintenance in my area around the time the speed went down from ~9Gb to ~6. I don't have hard proof though so I'm trying to get more facts :D
by artakamoose » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:25 pm
atrasatti wrote:I am wondering if there is a way for me or Sonic to measure the speed up to the ONT.

Depending on the router, it might not be capable of accurately testing a 10G connection. For instance, the built in Ubiquiti speed test is notoriously inaccurate across all their routers.
by atrasatti » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:27 pm
Fair enough. That's why I was hoping Sonic might have a monitoring tool measuring speed at the ONT
7 posts Page 1 of 1