Pointing, redirecting, fowarding secondary domains to the new hosting service

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by ocana » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:05 am
I have moved my client's website to a new hosting service and successfully changed the name server of the primary domain (californiatrustee.com) to its new host. However, we own two secondary domains through Sonic (privatefiduciary.net & catrustee.com) that are now showing broken links. These domains are also set up as our primary email accounts for the business, so we cannot move them from Sonic, nor do we want the emails to lapse.

We need them to point, forward or redirect to the primary domain www.californiatrustee.com. But when I googled how to do this with Sonic, I found this walkthrough that did not work... https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... forwarding

I was given an error message. I tried calling customer support, and they referred me to this forum. Please help. My contact is matt@matthewlong.co or matthewscott.long@gmail.com.

Thank you!
by joemuller » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:52 pm
Hi Matt,

I've gone ahead and fixed this for you, but I'll put the extra information below to help anyone else in the same situation. (I'll also see if we can get this extra info added to the documentation and put something more helpful than the error you were getting.)

There's one extra step you need to do to activate the Domain Forwarding (also referred to as DNS + Forward) -- the main DNS 'A' record for the domain needs to point at IP address 209.204.175.65. This is the default IP address we set up for parked domains, but it also is the one we use for doing forwards.

-- Joe M.
System Operations
Sonic.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
2 posts Page 1 of 1