Open source Sonic Mobile Communicator

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by forumvisitor » Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:26 am
I read an article that the Sonic Mobile Communicator app can be obtained from "proprietary" app stores so it can be run on more or less "proprietary" platforms. A sonic support representative told me that there is no open source version available.

Personally, I see no obvious reason why Linux users should not be able to call from their laptop if they happen to have WIFI access while away from home. There are also Linux mobile phones out there and being developed. Furthermore, as far as I understand it, some of those proprietary platforms themselves rely on Linux at their core i.e. build on the open source community's efforts. Although I've not seen SMC code, I wouldn't be surprised if SMC itself didn't rely on open source to actually function, if not develop. Seems very unfair to me.

So I thought I would ask Sonic for the reason that no open source SMC is available, and whether they plan to make it available?
by jerrielm » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:17 am
Hello!

Sadly, no plans exist to make our Sonic Mobile Communicator open source. Also, I am unable to tell you why we did not make the Sonic Mobile Communicator, as this was a company choice. I am sorry if these were not the answers you were looking for.

Best Wishes!
by forumvisitor » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:47 am
It was not the answer I was looking for but the one I expected. It comes down to the numbers. Assuming Sonic paid for the app's development, then I suppose that those proprietary stores have the customer base to make it a worthwhile business proposition. And besides, unless Sonic actually barred it, the open source community could just as easily develop the app for phones which use an open source OS.

Out of curiosity, consider the scenario where a customer happens to be abroad with both proprietary smart phone and laptop (an no ATA). Then something unfortunate happens to their phone e.g. an elephant accidentally treads on it. Is it possible to make a phone call using their home Sonic VoIP number via the laptop? i.e. the Sonic Communicator app, or at least its functionality, in some form?
by kgc » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:05 pm
More specifically, the Mobile Communicator is a licensed rebranded white label application provided by Metaswitch for telecommunications companies like Sonic who use their platform.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by forumvisitor » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:35 pm
I had no idea. I thought it was an in-house tool developed by Sonic as part of member tools. Hence the thread to find out about OS support as well as whether it was only a phone app or if would in addition develop into a desktop application and browser application much like Skype. As a browser application, the desktop and phone support becomes less important, but still there would need to be maintenance for at least the three most popular browsers. On the other hand, VoIP with a Sonic provided phone number, and no need for an dongle like ATA to be hanging around, would be a pretty attractive feature.

Well, thanks for the clarification.
by jerrielm » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:38 am
forumvisitor wrote:It was not the answer I was looking for but the one I expected. It comes down to the numbers. Assuming Sonic paid for the app's development, then I suppose that those proprietary stores have the customer base to make it a worthwhile business proposition. And besides, unless Sonic actually barred it, the open source community could just as easily develop the app for phones which use an open source OS.

Out of curiosity, consider the scenario where a customer happens to be abroad with both proprietary smart phone and laptop (an no ATA). Then something unfortunate happens to their phone e.g. an elephant accidentally treads on it. Is it possible to make a phone call using their home Sonic VoIP number via the laptop? i.e. the Sonic Communicator app, or at least its functionality, in some form?
Hello!

We have a built-in phone system for our VOIP in membertools when accessing your phone service. You can also use the Sonic Desktop Communicator to make calls from your laptop. Visit : https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... mmunicator For more info!

I hope this helps!

Best Wishes!
by forumvisitor » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:43 am
I've used member tools voice usage for years but never noticed the "Make Call" button which is in a completely different section. If it worked, it would be the equivalent of the browser version of the Sonic Mobile Communicator i.e. practically phone and desktop independent. But alas it doesn't work. I tried it by making a call to some third-party number and my own phone rang instead. And just for the curious, when I answered that phone, I heard the ringing tone you would hear if you were waiting for someone to answer a regular call dialed from it. And no, I didn't wait too long in case it was answered by some mysterious form of myself from "The Twilight Zone".

I did call Sonic support and that "Make Call" button is no longer supported...it is a deprecated service. However, the info from the last post about the desktop version of the Sonic Mobile Communicator does cover the situation where something happens to your smart phone and you have a laptop with access to WIFI. Then you can still "talk" your way out of trouble.
7 posts Page 1 of 1