Timeline for Torrance/South Bay area?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
21 posts Page 1 of 3
by acarlile89 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:15 pm
Hi, I know it's not easy to provide an update for pre-construction timelines, and that a lot of factors go into delays. But I was hoping for some sort of update, as we've had Sonic preordered for a while now, and I know preorders started since last December. It's reaching the point that we're extremely dissatisfied with our current internet service, and have been hanging our hopes on Sonic coming through.

With waiting so long however, we're trying to figure out if it's worthwhile pursuing an alternative to what we have for the moment, until Sonic becomes available for the 90503 area, or if it's worth waiting a few months more. Just a little more info would be really helpful in making a decision, thank you!

Ashlyn
by jerrielm » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:38 am
Hello!

If you need an internet service, now I would say that going to a competitor would not be the worst idea. We offer Contract Buyouts (https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... act-Buyout) if the service you have to get for the time being has a contract attached to it. I am also contracting my construction team to see if we have any updates for you.

Best Wishes!
by majortom » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:27 am
If Frontier Fiber is available to you, their new pricing (while not as good as the listed price you cannot pay Sonic for the service they are not yet delivering) has come down a lot, and being fiber based internet service, is pretty reliable. They only offer up to 5Gb/s (much too expensive for those who are not either wealthy, gamers or using it for work), but their 1Gb/s and 2Gb/s are a bit more reasonable (still too high, but much better than they used to be).

They do not require a contract, so switching if/when Sonic begins offering service is easy.
by virtualmike » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:07 pm
Does Sonic offer service in any areas also served by Frontier? In the past, Sonic only offered service in exchanges where AT&T is the ILEC.
by majortom » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:35 am
virtualmike wrote:Does Sonic offer service in any areas also served by Frontier? In the past, Sonic only offered service in exchanges where AT&T is the ILEC.
Sonic has sent out postcards announcing pre-orders in Redondo Beach and Torrance among other South Bay cities. Both Cities are currently served by Frontier Fiber. According to what they have said about Redondo Beach, they have yet to secure permits to begin service. Maybe they will get enough interest from pre-orders that they will actually build out a system, maybe they will not. It would be nice to have competition for Frontier. Their service is fine, but their prices are a bit high although they are not terrible.
by virtualmike » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:10 pm
Glad to see that Sonic is expanding beyond AT&T's exchanges. Maybe one day, Sonic can expand to the Coachella Valley! 8-)
by acarlile89 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:47 pm
jerrielm wrote:Hello!

If you need an internet service, now I would say that going to a competitor would not be the worst idea. We offer Contract Buyouts (https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... act-Buyout) if the service you have to get for the time being has a contract attached to it. I am also contracting my construction team to see if we have any updates for you.

Best Wishes!
Hi Jerrelm, thank you for the update and the information! It's just been getting increasingly frustrating out here, haha. I appreciate any updates you can provide. <3
majortom wrote:If Frontier Fiber is available to you, their new pricing (while not as good as the listed price you cannot pay Sonic for the service they are not yet delivering) has come down a lot, and being fiber based internet service, is pretty reliable. They only offer up to 5Gb/s (much too expensive for those who are not either wealthy, gamers or using it for work), but their 1Gb/s and 2Gb/s are a bit more reasonable (still too high, but much better than they used to be).

They do not require a contract, so switching if/when Sonic begins offering service is easy.
Yeah unfortunately I checked with Frontier too, and they don't service my part of Torrance. Thank you for the suggestion though! But anything is going to be better than 65 Mbps from Spectrum for $90 a month. Going to devote this weekend to serious research and see if we have any other options, I guess!

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Ashlyn
by virtualmike » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:28 pm
[quote="acarlile89"][quote="jerrielm"]But anything is going to be better than 65 Mbps from Spectrum for $90 a month./quote]
Isn't Spectrum's lowest tier speed 300 Mbps?
by acarlile89 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:24 pm
virtualmike wrote:
acarlile89 wrote:
jerrielm wrote:But anything is going to be better than 65 Mbps from Spectrum for $90 a month./quote]
Isn't Spectrum's lowest tier speed 300 Mbps?
I haven't been able to talk to Spectrum yet as I'm not the account holder, but I mean speed test wise that's what we get, unfortunately. We've also been using them on this plan for the last 7 or 8 years as well and I've heard unless you fight for an upgrade, Spectru mis more than happy to keep charing you without upgrading you.. We could just have really bad infrastructure in this particular part of the city though. I checked AT&T and they only offer a 10 Mbps option to our address.
by virtualmike » Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:55 pm
My experience with Spectrum is a bit different, in that as they raised the speed of the lowest tier, we were automatically upgraded to the new speed. At two different properties, we were upgraded from 100 Mbps to 300 Mbps without asking, with no price increase.

Could the slow speed be due to sub-optimal Wi-Fi? For that matter, if the account is that old, perhaps the equipment can't support Spectrum's current speeds. The account holder should be able to check.
21 posts Page 1 of 3