Timeline for Torrance/South Bay area?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
21 posts Page 2 of 3
by pfallon88 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:14 pm
To add to this - there are parts of Lawndale serviced by AT&T and Spectrum - but never got Verizon FIOS (now Frontier).

Is Sonic targeting the areas that never got other FIOS/Fiber service? Seems that would result in the best uptake from customers.

Page is now “Pre Construction” at least now not “Planning”
by dancefreak » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:07 pm
Hermosa Beach (90254) is in pre-construction. Not sure how long we've been in that status. For what it's worth our house has Frontier service currently.
by dennych » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:44 am
I've been wondering as well. I am constantly getting pelted by Ads from Sonic but signed up 10 months ago with no update on the rollout lol. Also wondering if we get to keep the rate we pre-ordered under since there is no mention of it in the account login. I see it's now up to $49 a month.

AT&T recently rolled out fiber in my area so good to see some competition but of course they are way more expensive. Still great to see cable finally getting a proper competitor in the area
by dladnier » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:41 pm
We signed up for sonic many months ago - still says pre-construction for the South Bay. Have accepted that it will never make it here in a reasonable timeline.

We have both frontier fiber and spectrum internet so are in no rush anyway.
by artakamoose » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:42 pm
dennych wrote:I've been wondering as well. I am constantly getting pelted by Ads from Sonic but signed up 10 months ago with no update on the rollout lol. Also wondering if we get to keep the rate we pre-ordered under since there is no mention of it in the account login. I see it's now up to $49 a month.

AT&T recently rolled out fiber in my area so good to see some competition but of course they are way more expensive. Still great to see cable finally getting a proper competitor in the area
It was a little over a year between the time I preordered and the time service was installed for me, and Sonic honored the price and terms of my preorder without me having to ask.
by pfallon88 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:22 am
dladnier wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:41 pm We have both frontier fiber and spectrum internet so are in no rush anyway.
Lucky. Saw some ATT Fiber guys at lunch - they said maybe 2025 for my area of Lawndale and that they were waiting for Government $$$

For how much I see ads for Sonic, ATT Fiber, and Frontier - I wonder how much is spent vs what it would cost them to just install the service!

Saddens me that ATT fiber is available on the other side of Marine, but not in our section of many single family and apartment homes
by pfallon88 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:00 pm
I saw a Sonic pickup truck today in El Segundo! Nice to know they’re existing. Now come build where Verizon/Frontier FIOS and ATT Fiber haven’t, so we can have access besides Spectrum :D
by majortom » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:35 pm
Any progress towards launching service in Redondo Beach (90278)? It is been over 7 months since I first signed up and gave you a credit card number, yet the Fiber Status tool has not changed at all from the pre-construction report since I first signed up. This makes the tool basically useless as it does not provide any meaningful information.
by acarlile89 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:34 pm
I had just reached out to sonic support hoping for an update, and was told that I just had to wait and watch the fiber status tool myself. I expressed much the same plea, although for Torrance instead, haha.

I get there's probably hang ups or permitting issues or something, it'd just be nice to have more information than what the status tool actually provides. Especially if there's something I can do to help speed things along. I'm so sick of Spectrum but every option for us is worse.
by tentontim » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:46 am
I just assume it's taking time to build out in SoCal. I'm waiting over in the San Gabriel Valley area in the pre-construction phase. The upload speeds that Spectrum gives us is really crippling, so I can't wait, but I've lived with this for all these years, I can wait a few more. But I am as anxious the rest of y'all. Though once this starts moving along, I have to completely upgrade my home network infrastructure to take full advantage of the speeds. :D
21 posts Page 2 of 3