Trouble with openvpn?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
31 posts Page 4 of 4
by virtualmike » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:54 pm
I'm not connected via AT&T, but perhaps this information will also be useful.

I'm currently in Oregon on a Spectrum (formerly Charter) connection (I'll send the IP address via DM). The service is 300/12.

I used speedtest.sonic.net for two tests for each of the following conditions:
  • No VPN: 196 and 252 Mpbs down
    Sonic OpenVPN: 45 and 50 Mpbs down
    Google 1 VPN: 239 and 236 Mpbs down
    Sonic OpenVPN over Google 1 VPN: 41 and 37 down
speedtests.jpg
speedtests.jpg (146.07 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
The last test really was just to see whether the routing would make any difference. I did get a browser warning that I might be going to an insecure site, but I chose to proceed. As expected, that test had the worst speed.

Oddly, upload speed was only significantly affected when I piggybacked the VPNs . Without VPN or with just one VPN, the upload speed was close to 11 Mpbs. The dual VPN connection did affect the speed.

I also included in the DM traceroutes to ovpn.sonic.net with no VPN, and to speedtest.sonic.net under the various connections (except piggybacking).

Also intriguing is the fact that speedtest.sonic.net knew I was using a Spectrum connection even when on VPN, except when I used both. Yet, whatismyip.com properly shows the proper external IP address when accessed while on a VPN.
31 posts Page 4 of 4