Any one else notice that existing customers are getting ripped off again?

General discussions and other topics.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by zer0icee » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:01 pm
I received an add today telling me to look into the 10 Gigabit Sonic internet service. I was excited and checked to confirm my address was indeed eligible and called in to Sonic to get this upgrade sorted out. Even more excited to see that there is now an option to be rid of the previously required phone service which I've never used. So I should be able to increase my speed and decrease my costs, win win. But low and behold when speaking to the rep I'm told that unfortunately my 4 month old install is not able to support the new system and so I can't upgrade to the the 10 Gigabit, further phone is still required on my 1 gigabit fiber service, and Sonic has no set plan to roll out this upgrade to existing customer only new customers can get this. So now I'm paying more for less than a new customer yet again. Any one else having this experience?
by dane » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:26 pm
In areas with 10 gigabit equipment, we are working toward the processes for upgrades. It’s a complex provisioning transition and a self-installation kit with new equipment, but we’re working on it.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by amiel.m » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:58 am
Well we seem to be paying more than new customers. The check availability result says I should be paying 39.99/month for a 1g fiber.

What’s up with that Dane? Do we get free upgrade to 10g?
by dane » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:15 pm
Pricing for internet access is the basically same across all of our technology platforms, at $39.99/mo. The variability comes in voice service bundling, taxes, equipment, and in some products and regions, introductory pricing. Some technology platforms also offer higher speeds at stepped costs, for example on Fusion DSL you can get a second data line (“X2”) for an extra $20/mo, and on IP Broadband there are X2 and X3 products. Some new customers are offered from one to three months free as a promotional offer, and these offers vary by neighborhood and technology.

Other financial adjustments can come from our referral program which results in a $30 service credit for each new fiber customer referred, and the Federal Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) which provides a $30/mo credit to qualifying households.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by howarddy » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:39 am
So I am a new customer. and was told to expect speeds of 5-10 Gigs by techs installing fiber in my neighborhood but really got only 1 Gig.

This advertisement of up to 10 Gigs may be a type of bait and switch tactic.

I also realize that with older computing devices, its unlikely to use more than 200 or 300 mbps on each so 1 Gig speed is decent for a small family. But if you have 4 kids.... you probably need more.

But I do feel Sonic did promise a little bit more than they actually delivered since my speed is a little under 1 Gigabit.

I am more concerned that my upload speed is only 50-60% of my download speed. They were always about the same with my ATT service. I want that explained.
by ngufra » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:07 pm
The speed you get depends on your location and the availability of equipment.
For DSL, it depends on how far from the central office you are. The farther the slower.

For fiber, some locations have equipment that supports 1 Gbps others 10 Gbps.
I think Dane also mentioned they were having issues to get 10 Gbps CPE (the ONT in your house)

The pricing for one connection will be the same whatever your speed (for dsl, you can elect to get two bonded connections for a faster speed at an additional cost)

I would think even with 4 people, your experience will be fine on 1Gbps.
I think a 4k stream is about 25 -30 Mbps
Also note that 10 Gbps devices are still seldom and expensive.
by igorru » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:01 pm
howarddy wrote:So I am a new customer. and was told to expect speeds of 5-10 Gigs by techs installing fiber in my neighborhood but really got only 1 Gig.
What device are you testing your connection speed with? How is it connected to your ONT/Router (direct wire, through a switch, or wireless)? Is it capable of connecting at 10Gb speeds or only 1Gb?
by dane » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:11 pm
We often see find that slow upload speeds occur with devices that have aftermarket antivirus/security software installed. These software tools sometimes cannot keep up.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cmeisel » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:39 pm
Everybody should connect (as a test, like Sonic does) one device that is capable to do 1gig) via ethernet to the ONT, install the Speedtest app (more accurate, less overhead) and run a speedtest. You will see 1 gig up and down or at least close at all times. I, for example, did this test by connecting the Apple TV box to the ONT and installing speedtest.
After that, every speed you see on wifi or wires will have limitations due to the hardware, software on your machines, etc.
1Gig Fiber offers 1Gig fiber, it is not shared, it won't go up and down when more people in the neighborhood use Sonic.
The problem is, many users blame sonic for issues beyond their control.
by cmeisel » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:52 pm
I find the tone of these posting very questionable.
Sonic is a company that provides an AMAZING value for very little money. To call a Fiber Internet connection bait and switch tactics is uncalled for. The Sonic connection (when not using ATT Fiber) allows you to use your own equipment, try this with ATT, they will force you to use their shitty Hardware which limits what you can do. Sonic has no data caps, has always spoken out for net neutrality, deleted customer data every 2 weeks (i believe) because they believe in the privacy of their users. And now they offer (where available) 10G for no extra cost? You guys should be thankful every day that you have such a service, 1G, 5G, 10G, you should simply not care. Almost none of you will ever need 10G, will ever use 10G, not even 5G and in most cases not even 1G. Even with 4 kids, you will not need 1G. There are people in the US who have 4+ kids and a connection that can do 20-30Mbps, and many of them might pay $100 or more for that. You get 1G (limits you experience are due to your equipment. If you want to avoid those, rent the sonic eero's) and you accuse Sonic of Fraud.
I suggest contacting support in private to try to figure out what to do and how to test rather than to post on a thread accusing Sonic of ripping customers off.
Why don't you switch to ATT or Xfinity so you can see what being ripped of feels like and then, why don't you talk to their CEO in the forum. I feel Dane and his team should get more praised for offering and believing in a fair Internet for all rather than just selling out and getting rich, instead I see all these ungrateful people who have no idea what they are talking about complaining. Again, switch to one of the other providers if you want to feel what being ripped off feels like, and then you can apologize to Dane and his team.

howarddy wrote:So I am a new customer. and was told to expect speeds of 5-10 Gigs by techs installing fiber in my neighborhood but really got only 1 Gig.

This advertisement of up to 10 Gigs may be a type of bait and switch tactic.

I also realize that with older computing devices, its unlikely to use more than 200 or 300 mbps on each so 1 Gig speed is decent for a small family. But if you have 4 kids.... you probably need more.

But I do feel Sonic did promise a little bit more than they actually delivered since my speed is a little under 1 Gigabit.

I am more concerned that my upload speed is only 50-60% of my download speed. They were always about the same with my ATT service. I want that explained.
11 posts Page 1 of 2