Caller I.D. Info Incorrect

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by Ken » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:33 pm
For the past few months calls from my Sonic business line to people with Comcast phones display my caller I.D. info incorrectly. The name that appears on their caller I.D. is a now-deceased person who was on the (old pac bell) account about 15 years ago. As far as I can tell, this problem only exists when calling FROM my Sonic line to TO Comcast lines.

At Sonic's suggestion I called Comcast to see if they could update their database. I was told by a Comcast Business rep that my line is NOT in their database. All they could tell me is the caller I.D. data displayed on their customer's phones was generated by XO Communications. I asked if they could put my number in their database to correct the problem, but was told that was not possible unless (of course!) I became a Comcast customer. I was told there is nothing else Comcast can do about the problem.

I called back to Sonic, and was told by the tech that all of my information is correct in the Sonic database, and there is nothing more that can be done at the Sonic end of things.

This problem is impacting my business. My clients with Comcast lines often do not answer my calls since their caller I.D. shows a caller they don't recognize. Meanwhile, neither Sonic nor Comcast seem to be able to resolve the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
by dane » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:25 am
Sorry for the delay in response, is this issue still outstanding?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Ken » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:14 pm
Yes. Any help would be appreciated.
by dane » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:31 pm
You'll need to provide your login so we can assist, or reference a ticket number here, because you're posting without logging in here.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by kenjacobs » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:51 pm
OK. It is re 707-XXX-XXX.

[Removed customer tel number. -Moderator]
by dane » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:42 pm
Thanks Ken, I will pass this over to our team and see if we can assist.

It's a bit challenging because CNAM (caller ID name) data is in a centralized database, which XO submits to in this case - and as you've seen, other carriers have the right info. That means what we've got in place for you is right - Comcast is the only one displaying inaccurate info.

This might point toward Comcast perhaps caching the data, but this isn't permitted by regulation for exactly this reason. Not that I'm saying Comcast is doing this, but sometimes carriers bend this rule because each "dip" into the central database costs a fraction of a cent, so there is an incentive not to obtain and use the current info every time.

Regardless, we'll look further and see if there's anything we can do!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:01 am
We believe this is now resolved.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
7 posts Page 1 of 1