Sonic Fiber Equipment?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
22 posts Page 2 of 3
by klui » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:24 pm
Eeros are an added cost.

If you have a more capable router you can create a dedicated interface solely for the CPE in bridge mode. Pace/Arris DMZ+/IP Passthrough don't require a dedicated interface to access its LAN subnet.
by sandy.dannunzio » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:48 pm
dane wrote:There are some limited sites today that are getting a new 10Gbps ONT, and that device provides a 10Gbps Ethernet, a 1Gbps Ethernet, plus POTS voice. It’s configured as a router, so this will result in double NAT unless the Eero is configured for bridge (access point only) mode.
@dane,

Ugh. What a gut-punch! Please tell me there will be another option.

I've had an eero 6 Pro mesh working flawlessly for almost a year now, and one of the main reasons I was so eager to pre-order Sonic fiber is the expectation that I could continue to use my eero mesh without being stuck with a mandatory router. I fully expected to be able to continue using all the eero features that I currently enjoy, instead of losing them all to bridge mode. Please tell me that our neighborhood (Ramona Ave, Piedmont) will still get the Adtran 411!

When AT&T recently announced fiber for our neighborhood I scoffed, because I was confident that Sonic was going to provide a much better service. But now I'm afraid I will have to take their offer seriously, because at least they allow an IP Passthrough mode on their mandatory router. I'm crushed. I was so eagerly looking forward to becoming a Sonic customer.

I would even consider double-NAT, but apparently my son-in-law's brand new Xbox will refuse to run in that mode. (Not sure why, because it works fine now, even though I don't open any ports, and don't enable UPnP.)

Please, please, please give us another option.
by klui » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:32 pm
Sadly it seems router-ONT is the way things are going.

ATT is using an Alcatel-Lucent [Nokia] XS-020X-A 7368 for their 10G deployments. See https://fccid.io/2ADZRXS250WXAB/User-Ma ... al-3712737 for a similar device as I can't find any info on the 020X. The 020X is similar to the 250WX. Note the manual does not appear to be complete/final. The standard firmware does support bridge mode.

If ATT will provide IP Passthrough/DMZ+, I feel Sonic will ultimately add true bridging. I do see the benefit of 1 SKU for everything; however, residential homes are strange beasts. There are situations where it's convenient to have the ONT in a corner of the premises while the gateway resides somewhere else. In other situations better to have an all-in-one. In my home, for example, the ONT is in the garage where it was really easy to route and ethernet drops already exist. But my rack is in the middle of the house. The tech would probably need to spend 1 or more hours to route fiber all the way where my equipment is.
by lasevich » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:50 pm
klui wrote: If ATT will provide IP Passthrough/DMZ+, I feel Sonic will ultimately add true bridging. I do see the benefit of 1 SKU for everything; however, residential homes are strange beasts.
I'd like to think that Sonic is better than AT&T, not sure why us getting services would be dependent on AT&T providing comparable service...
by klui » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:49 pm
The same reason why emission rules dictated by California tend to be adopted by other states. If incumbents want a certain type of CPE with specific features it doesn't make economical sense to provide something else.
by lasevich » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:07 pm
klui wrote:The same reason why emission rules dictated by California tend to be adopted by other states. If incumbents want a certain type of CPE with specific features it doesn't make economical sense to provide something else.
Heh, thats a bit dark - painting Sonic as some cheap AT&T knockoff. I never really viewed Sonic that way - always thought of them more as independent leader - but if we want to play catchup, Comcast already offers bridge mode on their high speed devices and I would not be surprised if AT&T offers it too already. It seems like a pretty basic offering :-/
by medina4470 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:22 pm
lasevich wrote:I would not be surprised if AT&T offers it too already. It seems like a pretty basic offering :-/
Can confirm that AT&T (and more than likely Sonic resold service) have IP Passthrough. We've been using it with our Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro. Not quite a true bridge mode but it works for us.
by medina4470 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:41 pm
sandy.dannunzio wrote:
dane wrote:There are some limited sites today that are getting a new 10Gbps ONT, and that device provides a 10Gbps Ethernet, a 1Gbps Ethernet, plus POTS voice. It’s configured as a router, so this will result in double NAT unless the Eero is configured for bridge (access point only) mode.
@dane,

Ugh. What a gut-punch! Please tell me there will be another option.

I've had an eero 6 Pro mesh working flawlessly for almost a year now, and one of the main reasons I was so eager to pre-order Sonic fiber is the expectation that I could continue to use my eero mesh without being stuck with a mandatory router. I fully expected to be able to continue using all the eero features that I currently enjoy, instead of losing them all to bridge mode. Please tell me that our neighborhood (Ramona Ave, Piedmont) will still get the Adtran 411!

When AT&T recently announced fiber for our neighborhood I scoffed, because I was confident that Sonic was going to provide a much better service. But now I'm afraid I will have to take their offer seriously, because at least they allow an IP Passthrough mode on their mandatory router. I'm crushed. I was so eagerly looking forward to becoming a Sonic customer.

I would even consider double-NAT, but apparently my son-in-law's brand new Xbox will refuse to run in that mode. (Not sure why, because it works fine now, even though I don't open any ports, and don't enable UPnP.)

Please, please, please give us another option.
Bridge mode is mentioned here. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17030&p=58351#p58351
by lasevich » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:05 pm
medina4470 wrote:
Bridge mode is mentioned here. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17030&p=58351#p58351
Well, once that hits mainstream it will make much of this conversation moot :-)
by klui » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:17 pm
lasevich wrote:Heh, thats a bit dark - painting Sonic as some cheap AT&T knockoff.
What made you feel I think that way?

Let's be honest. Sonic is tiny compared to ATT and Comcast. Sonic has been a great differentiating ISP through its policies not the type of equipment they deploy. If I were to choose Sonic either spend money on building their fiber network or provide a more feature-rich CPE, I'd select the former. And while I don't want them to scrape CPEs from the bottom of the barrel--I'm looking at those ZTE modems years ago--I expect them to choose wisely. If combo router/ONTs are the way the pendulum swings, I can't fault Sonic from selecting them since those devices will come down in price due to economies of scale. Which in turn makes other types of equipment decrease their ROI.

ATT will never offer true bridge mode unless they want to cede control of who can connect to their network. That also allows them to force customers to rent their devices.
22 posts Page 2 of 3