can i still access my at&t email ?

General discussions and other topics.
21 posts Page 1 of 3
by seamuslundy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:06 pm
I wonder if anybody who changed from at&t to sonic can advise me. will I still be able to access my email at sbcglobal\at&t after I change over. my email is yahoo.com which is linked to at&t. I have been with them for a long time and would not want to lose all my emails contacts etc.I figure alot of sonic clients came from at&t so somebody would have knowledge of this . tks
by Guest » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:58 pm
AT&T doesn't tell yahoo that you left. I switched to sonic and I still have an sbcglobal.net address (through yahoo) and a sonic.net address.
by Guest » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:06 pm
I have a similar concern. I switched from my att.net email to sonic.net. AT&T said I have 30 days after which I will no longer have access to my att email. I would like to add all my att contacts to sonic. It seems I need a vCard to do that; I have no idea what a vCard is! Would love some help with this!
by virtualmike » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:27 pm
Guest wrote:I would like to add all my att contacts to sonic.
I can't tell you how to import the contacts into Sonic.net web mail (I don't store my contacts there), but you can get the contacts OUT of AT&T/Yahoo email if you:

Login to AT&T mail

Go to mail

Click "View all att.net mail" (or whichever domain)

Go to the "Contacts" tab

Click the "Actions" button

Choose "Export All"

Choose "vCard, Zip of .VCF files"

This will give you a vCard for each contact, which you can import into any mail program that accepts them.

Someone with more experience with Sonic.net webmail can indicate if one of the other options is supported by that.

Or you could look into using a program like Outlook or Thunderbird to manage your email, and you can use the export function above to get the contact information in the right format.
by mailuser » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:00 pm
To import contacts into Sonic.net webmail:

1) Click on Address Book near the upper right

2) Click Import near the upper left

3) Click 'Choose Files' (Sonic.net currently support importing addresses from the vCard format)

4) Click Import; once complete the page will display: Successfully imported [#] contacts.

5) Click Done to be returned to the address book

This includes: @att.net, @sbcglobal.net, @bellsouth.net, etc: Email is handled by Yahoo and is not disconnected when you terminate internet service from AT&T because AT&T / Yahoo still makes $$ from showing you ads and deriving behavioral patterns from your email flow (Just another reason to use the provided @sonic.net email addresses that come along with connectivity service!).

If you have any doubts about upgrading your email then check out this user's report on how EASY it is to get assistance in the event something goes wrong with your AT&T / Yahoo email: http://tinyurl.com/kjz8bk4
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
by dane » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:35 am
mailuser wrote:This includes: @att.net, @sbcglobal.net, @bellsouth.net, etc: Email is handled by Yahoo and is not disconnected when you terminate internet service from AT&T because AT&T / Yahoo still makes $$ from showing you ads and deriving behavioral patterns from your email flow (Just another reason to use the provided @sonic.net email addresses that come along with connectivity service!).
This is a common question from our prospective customers, and while I've heard from many that they end up able to retain the @yahoo or @sbcglobal etc address, I haven't found any good documentation that I can show prospective customers to reassure them that they're not going to lose their address when they switch to Sonic. Have you seen anything official?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by fmc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:02 pm
Five or six years ago (not all that long, really) bellsouth.net and att.net were run by separate groups of people that each had their own mail server operations teams. I used to talk to some of those folks. Nowadays, it's pretty clear that AT&T has moved all their retail customer mail services to Yahoo's hosted-mail platform. I expect there's a contractual arrangement to do this, and what happens when AT&T finds someone who will perform this service at lower cost than Yahoo?
by jpr52 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:26 pm
I switched from AT&T over a year ago and the answer to your question is YES...
I still use the AT&T Yahoo home page as my regular home page and access my att and yahoo mail accounts.
AT& T will not re-assign your chosen id...
by seamus lundy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:55 pm
well dane I came across this legal notice on the internet and in section 5 cancellation of service by a customer it says "when you cancel your service your account ID email address will remain active as will all email subaccounts you have created. The email accounts may be accessed from the att.net website"
It also states if att cancel your account for whatever reason they will terminate email ID etc. So the key as I see it.... if you cancel At&t yourself and have paid all your bills etc you will continue to have access to your email acc.
Hope this helps. tks
by mailuser » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:09 pm
dane wrote: Have you seen anything official?
http://forums.att.com/t5/Email-Internet ... -p/3418947

^ links to ->

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp ... hJ2O51VWN2
seamus lundy wrote:..states if att cancel[s] your account for whatever reason they will terminate email ID etc..
From the above referenced URL:
"You've canceled or disconnected your AT&T service, but you want to keep your Yahoo! email ID. We'll show you how. To keep your Yahoo! email ID you'll need to unmerge and then delete your att.net email ID...You have not lost any email, Address Book contacts, or other information..you have only removed the AT&T email address itself. Your account will still exist in mail.yahoo.com and you will continue to use the Yahoo! (or sbcglobal.net, att.net, etc.) email address"

It appears the official answer is.. Yes, but only if you follow this procedure, or maybe still even if you don't. Not as clear as Sonic.net's policy but what can you do? (Hint: use @sonic.net email!)
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
21 posts Page 1 of 3