X1 to X2 Upgrade. 2 fairly technical questions need answering before I upgrade, can you help?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
50 posts Page 4 of 5
by mikeapbiz » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:24 pm
dane wrote:How about the second line? We get that installed?
Hi Dane, as of 230pm, no sign of AT&T. Been home all day waiting for them. So assuming they don't come in the next few hours, what do I do to get line 2 connected?
by dane » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:30 pm
They may not visit, it’s possible they’ll do the work from the CO, just patching existing wires from your home to the cross connect toward our equipment. Whenever they’re finished, we get notice and will email you that it’s complete. You can also inquire with support, they text so it’s super easy: http://Sonic.com/support
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mikeapbiz » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:13 pm
dane wrote:They may not visit, it’s possible they’ll do the work from the CO, just patching existing wires from your home to the cross connect toward our equipment. Whenever they’re finished, we get notice and will email you that it’s complete. You can also inquire with support, they text so it’s super easy: http://Sonic.com/support
I don't think that's it sadly. The tech yesterday showed me his wires at my demarc box and he showed me they were NOT connected as he didn't know which of the 6 biding posts to connect them to, so he said "somebody" is going to have to connect (screw down) the wires at my house once ATT does their job. Maybe he needs to come back now? But someone does b/c the pair of wires definitely are not screwed down.
by dane » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:07 pm
Yup. After ATT completes, our team can come finalize that for you. Free, because you’re in our equipment rental and wire plan, so yay for that!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mikeapbiz » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:39 pm
dane wrote:Yup. After ATT completes, our team can come finalize that for you. Free, because you’re in our equipment rental and wire plan, so yay for that!
ATT visited today, the line had a ground on it so they had to go "figure it out". ATT left. No further info. Is there any ETA or SLA on how long ATT can take to "figure it out"?
by mikeapbiz » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:39 pm
dane wrote:There’s no commitment at all on the Fusion X1/X2 products, so you’ve got full flexibility. No harm in trying!

(Writing this from my 40+40/7+7 = 80Mbps/14Mbps Fusion X2 connection!)

Dane, I definitely want to push in here to get details on the "no commitment" and "no harm in trying" b/c to date there's been a lot of harm. Can't believe I"m saying this but I really miss my 8 down 1 up dsl. Why would I miss it? B/c it was slow but STEADY.

Now with the 1/2 X2 ( I say 1/2 because ever since I ordered 3 weeks ago ATT still hasn't managed to get the second line here so I'm on a X2 circuit with just one line) my stability has dropped far below what it was with X1. Now, when I upload a file (20-100mb) it stops my download until its done and usually messes with the connection so bad that even the upload fails as my streaming services and vpn office phone are all kicked off. Easily repeatable every time I want to upload. Now with my old X1, even though it was barely 1mb up, I could drop a 1gb file in Dropbox, and even though it would take 19 hours to upload, it would always finish, slow and steady, without screwing me over and I could go about Netflix and VOIP while it just plodded away in the background. Slow but beautiful.

Unless we can find a fix for this, X2 has been terrible (and that's not counting the Pace's not fully supporting bridge mode and the multiple house visits without a second line). If I go back to X1 will I get my reliability back at least? I need to be able to drop a large file in Dropbox and have it slow and steady go without causing a panic attack on my connection. I've done that for 10 years without a single glitch. Now I've lost all of that in the pursuit of speed.

Attached are 2 screen shots one showing fantastic stability on X1, 97%, and the other showing the speed stability now on 1/2 X2 (60-70%).

Real word proof of the lack of stability I used to be able to watch my web cam outside the house smoothly. You could see real time motion, such as someone walking, and you'd see the clock ticking up every second on the camera, thus proving it's a real time stream. Now with this connection I see the clock every 3-6 seconds, proving it's very start and stop, or unstable. Even a fast.com speed test kills my download during an upload test. That NEVER happened in 10 years with X1. That's smoking gun evidence.

Attachments

by yeechang_lee » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:16 pm
mikeapbiz wrote:the Pace (aka POS) needs to be set for DHCP as connection type then your home router on Lan Subport 1 needs to be static with the IP
Another advantage of this setup is that it enables the Pace to function as a standalone router. Although like you I prefer to run my own router in bridged mode, I have found connecting directly to the Pace useful a couple of times; an example is running a speed test of the Sonic connection with as few roadblocks as possible. Sometimes it's very useful to eliminate as many variables as possible.

That said, I really miss being able to connect my own router directly to the wall with nothing intervening, so wait for fiber here in San Mateo (going on two years since I moved in) with bated breath.
by mikeapbiz » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:16 pm
yeechang_lee wrote:
mikeapbiz wrote:the Pace (aka POS) needs to be set for DHCP as connection type then your home router on Lan Subport 1 needs to be static with the IP
Another advantage of this setup is that it enables the Pace to function as a standalone router. Although like you I prefer to run my own router in bridged mode, I have found connecting directly to the Pace useful a couple of times; an example is running a speed test of the Sonic connection with as few roadblocks as possible. Sometimes it's very useful to eliminate as many variables as possible.

That said, I really miss being able to connect my own router directly to the wall with nothing intervening, so wait for fiber here in San Mateo (going on two years since I moved in) with bated breath.

Sadly there is a big downside the the Pace. It messes with your upstream traffic. For example, when I have the Pace, I can't watch my security cameras smoothly, they drop frames all over the place. Without the pace, no problem.

Attn Dane or someone else from Sonic, I was told that the Pace could bridge when I signed up for this X2 transition. Learning now that it can't bridge, it just does a faux-bridge with the lan subnet, I now can't watch my cameras smoothly. So this X2 isn't going to work. Unless someone from Sonic can help save the day (the install) I'm going to cancel this whole thing. Such a shame, so many hours spent with Sonic and ATT techs here, I was so willing to pay more, but this Pace is unusable with what it does to my cameras.
by amayfield » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:53 am
I'm sorry for the misinformation regarding the Pace 5268 and bonding - if you remember who told you that bonding a Pace 5268 on your service type was possible I will get this feedback over to their supervisor so we can avoid this kind of situation in the future.

Regarding the issues with the service you've reported - once the second line is delivered and running those problems should cease. In the meantime I can see some configuration changes we can do that may help with stability, but those changes would cause your service to go down briefly while the changes are implemented. Let me know what time works for you for me to make those changes and I'll make it go.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by mikeapbiz » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:29 pm
amayfield wrote:I'm sorry for the misinformation regarding the Pace 5268 and bonding - if you remember who told you that bonding a Pace 5268 on your service type was possible I will get this feedback over to their supervisor so we can avoid this kind of situation in the future.

Regarding the issues with the service you've reported - once the second line is delivered and running those problems should cease. In the meantime I can see some configuration changes we can do that may help with stability, but those changes would cause your service to go down briefly while the changes are implemented. Let me know what time works for you for me to make those changes and I'll make it go.
GO for it now. 2nd line is delivered and in sync now.
50 posts Page 4 of 5