X1 to X2 Upgrade. 2 fairly technical questions need answering before I upgrade, can you help?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
50 posts Page 2 of 5
by dane » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:12 am
joeyyung911 wrote:
dane wrote:... technician visit is ever required, there is a charge for that.
Honestly, that's a little deceiving. You get charged if the issue is on the customer side of the network. If it's on Sonic's side, you don't get charged.
That’s not always that clear. If customers do not have our equipment, they should test at the MPOE so we can see if it is a line issue. But if the only equipment they have to test with is the customer-owned modem and it incorrectly indicates failure, it can result in an unnecessary truck roll which results in a fee.

With Sonic supplied equipment, we’ll instead ship a new device, or dispatch if that’s determined to be appropriate, but the costs of both of those things are covered by the rental program.

Virtually all of our members use Sonic supported equipment, and just bear in mind that going DIY will result in the need to support your own network and is at your own risk. If you have an issue, please do not call support or ask for a truck roll until you’ve thoroughly tested at the MPOE with known good equipment and configuration.

Oh, and one more concern: changes in our network may not be seamless if you’re not using equipment we supply. For example, transport changes from ATM to PTM are made during some POP upgrades to support VDSL2+, and bonding configurations can be G.bond in older equipment in some POPs and PTM bonding in newer. We configure our equipment as necessary (or replace it) to support changes in the network as they are made.

As you can imagine, we’d really prefer that customers use the equipment we offer. We have designed our support tools and business processes around the capabilities that being able to see, troubleshoot and replace it at no additional cost provide. As a result, I strongly discourage opting out.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mikeapbiz » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:40 am
Ok Dane, you've sold me on using your modem, but I don't want to use it as a router. So, if I use your rental modem, can I bridge it so that my router uses the static IP address I have assigned to my dsl account?
by dane » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:10 am
Yes, the devices offer a “DMZ Plus” or a full bridge mode.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mikeapbiz » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:47 pm
Is it possible to still use Annex M Mode for better upload at the expense of download once I change from X1 to X2 bonded ADSL?
by dane » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:11 pm
mikeapbiz wrote:Is it possible to still use Annex M Mode for better upload at the expense of download once I change from X1 to X2 bonded ADSL?
Yep!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mikeapbiz » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:44 am
Ok, I'm ready to buy, but Dane, is there any 30-day test/cancel period. Here's what I mean. Right now line one syncs at lets say 16/2. What if the second line I add syncs at 5/0.8 Or maybe both lines sync at 16/2 but I only get 21/2.4 combined Such that I feel it's just not "worth it" meaning it's not near the "doubling" I was expecting. We all know no 2 DSL lines are the same, so do I have any options or back out based on performance or is it a roll the dice locked-in for a year?
by dane » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:59 am
There’s no commitment at all on the Fusion X1/X2 products, so you’ve got full flexibility. No harm in trying!

(Writing this from my 40+40/7+7 = 80Mbps/14Mbps Fusion X2 connection!)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ewhac » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:55 pm
dane wrote:(Writing this from my 40+40/7+7 = 80Mbps/14Mbps Fusion X2 connection!)
You mean not even you can get fiber?!?

:-) :-)
by mikeapbiz » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:54 pm
dane wrote:There’s no commitment at all on the Fusion X1/X2 products, so you’ve got full flexibility. No harm in trying!

(Writing this from my 40+40/7+7 = 80Mbps/14Mbps Fusion X2 connection!)
Dane
As promised, here's my updated report from today's install.

1. Service was switched over to X2 and ATT didn't connect the second line yet. Not Sonic's fault, just saying, it's a bummer.

2. Ok so we get the Pace hooked up with just 1 line for now. And then all my fears and the reason I started the thread started. The install tech couldn't get the modem to bridge. Sonic phone support didn't offer him much help other than to say that trying to make bridging work is outside the scope of the install. I said the whole reason I'm doing the install, agreed to pay the $9.95 a month for the Pace, and try this was based on what you posted to this thread. Didn't move them.

3. So now I have only 1 line working (waiting for ATT tomorrow to cross-connect line 2) and your Pace not bridging so my static IP isn't allowing devices (IP Cameras, etc) to work outside the LAN. So this needs to be fixed or I will have to take you up on the offer I quoted above (canceling, no harm in trying) and going back to X1 with my same static and my own modem.

4. So what are my options? #1 I ordered a bonding Zyxel modem VMG4005 and will try that in a week when it arrives. Until then, can you or someone else tell me how to pass-through the IP address to my router? The Sonic team said Click the Disable button on routing in the Pace, but that didn't work and we tried 2 Paces. And that's all they had. So besides clicking that button (which in theory should work) what else can I try to make it bridge as a normal modem does?
by ewhac » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:17 pm
mikeapbiz wrote:2. Ok so we get the Pace hooked up with just 1 line for now. And then all my fears and the reason I started the thread started. The install tech couldn't get the modem to bridge. [ ... ]
The official "bridge mode" on the Pace is reportedly b0rk3d (at least it is on mine). Did you try the LAN subports feature?
50 posts Page 2 of 5