Need help setting up WRT54G router

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:19 am
I just got a TP-Link TD-8616 modem up and running but can't seem to get the Linksys WRT54G running. I have a static IP that Sonic provided and plugged it into the TCP/IPv4 properties on my computer to get the modem working. I also inputted the static IP into the router's settings and disabled DCHP server. I tried changing the IP's of both the router and modem. The modem is in Bridge LLC encapsulation mode.
by digitalbitstream » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:26 pm
I'd peel that onion in layers. Set sonic to dynamic, set the TP-Link TD-8616 to be your router. Get it all working. Then flip to bridge mode. Then introduce the static IP.

The Sonic static IP does NOT belong in your TCP/IPv4 properties. The TP-Link TD-8616 should be transparent. The WRT54G should talk to sonic via static IP. Your computer should talk to the WRT54G via DHCP, unaware what's going on behind the scenes.
by Guest » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:32 am
digitalbitstream wrote:I'd peel that onion in layers. Set sonic to dynamic, set the TP-Link TD-8616 to be your router. Get it all working. Then flip to bridge mode. Then introduce the static IP.

The Sonic static IP does NOT belong in your TCP/IPv4 properties. The TP-Link TD-8616 should be transparent. The WRT54G should talk to sonic via static IP. Your computer should talk to the WRT54G via DHCP, unaware what's going on behind the scenes.
Got dynamic up and running easily. Debating if it's worth going the static IP route. I do use a VPN, but there aren't any issues with it with dynamic IP.
3 posts Page 1 of 1