Has anyone configured VPN on an Android device?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
41 posts Page 1 of 5
by virtualmike2 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:58 pm
My Android phone supports VPN. I'd like to configure it to use VPN when using wifi in coffee shops, etc.

If anyone has configured their device, what settings did you use?

If not, then I'll start a dialog here so we can collaborate on getting it going. (And maybe it can be posted in Sonic.net's wiki... ;) ). ...cheers!
by paulbarwick » Sat May 21, 2011 10:04 am
Maybe I haven't dug deep enough yet, but it appears that Android doesn't yet support Cisco VPN, which, if I understand correctly, is what is needed for Sonic's VPN service. There may be a way to get it working on rooted phones, but my Droid isn't currently rooted, so I am unable to test that.

I am going to try to set up VPN on my Droid using the commercial VPN service I use on my home machine (purevpn) and will report back.
by kgc » Sat May 21, 2011 8:02 pm
I believe the issue is that the built in VPN client doesn't support the group auth scheme that we currently have configured.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by virtualmike2 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:08 am
Thanks for the tip about the group auth. I found a Feature Request on code.google.com asking for implementation of full Cisco-compatible VPN. I added my vote to it.
by paulbarwick » Sun May 22, 2011 8:40 am
kgc wrote:I believe the issue is that the built in VPN client doesn't support the group auth scheme that we currently have configured.
Any chance of changing your configuration? Google has received thousands of requests for this over the past 18 months or so but hasn't even bothered to acknowledge those requests.
by kgc » Sun May 22, 2011 10:00 pm
My understanding is that it is the Secure Way of doing it. Hopefully someone from the NOC while chime in.

It would also be nice if the Window built in VPN client worked to (If it does, I couldn't figure it out.) Works fine with all of the Apple products out of the box.
Kelsey Cummings
by paulbarwick » Sun May 22, 2011 11:41 pm
"It would also be nice if the Window built in VPN client worked to (If it does, I couldn't figure it out.)"

I know what you mean. I had to set up that client on my two Win7 machines for another VPN service. It took multiple tries on both machines and when was over I still had no idea what I had finally done right to get it to work.
by parkerday » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:18 pm
So Cisco now has AnyConnect on Android (for rooted devices and some Samsung devices):
https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... oid.rooted

Does this bring us closer to getting Sonic's VPN working on Android?
by kgc » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:54 pm
Looks like it is time to root my phone and find out. It would be very nice to have access to my static IP VPN from my phone.
Kelsey Cummings
by jwinstonsf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:18 am
I set up anyconnect for rooted phone. It asked me to accept an out of date server certificate which I did. Then I got "error processing data received from secure gateway." I tried setting up certificate as automatic and also disabled. Same thing both times.

Logs attached if anyone can decipher them. :)

--jon

Attachments

41 posts Page 1 of 5