Covet thy neighbor's sync speed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by digitalbitstream » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:39 am
Sonic periodically publishes a speed/distance chart for the entire network (e.g. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r269108 ... ance-chart ).

Is there a way to get a speed/distance chart for my neighborhood? Or put another way: how can I learn my neighbor's sync speed (without, say, actually talking to them)?

If immediate neighbors are doing better than me, perhaps there are outside or inside wiring issues that need attention....
by Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:56 am
I believe the AT&T technicians have a tool, looks like the Zillow web page :) except instead of showing house prices, it shows in real-time the sync speed of their customer's modems. You would get a birds-eye view of the sync speed situation at a glance.

Some customers have lower requirements and would be happy just having a stable line. For the customers who do need as much speed as possible, knowing their actual neighborhood speeds would give some factual basis whether to pursue line diagnostics/improvments .. or to resign themselves to 'this is as good as it gets'.

Working in the dark with no comparable data is probably the worst .. sort of like buying a car without any pricing information, you are left forever wondering if you got a good/average/bad deal.

Don't know if Sonic has any tools similar to AT&T, or if they would share the data with subscribers.
by dane » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:51 pm
As distance is the best indicator for speed, that'd be the solution to answer the "should I be doing better?" question.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:22 am
Distance has wide error bands on "normal". Are those bands tighter from certain CO's?
4 posts Page 1 of 1