Blocking Numbers

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
143 posts Page 2 of 15
by Guest » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:25 pm
I'd like a related feature to blocking that I think would be really effective.

For numbers I've blocked/blacklisted, play the tri-tone "the number you have reached is not in service" message.

GrandCentral (since acquired by Google) had this feature, and it was brilliant. Signaling to a spammer's robo-dialer that your number is a complete waste of time is a great way to get off their list fast.
by jstrawn » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:05 pm
I also request the capability to block numbers. Almost daily I get a recorded
political announcement from 415 553 6465. Something like this:

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhel ... +block.htm

would be a big help. Yes I am on the national do not call list. I agree
w/ the observation that the # of machine calls ignoring that list is
increasing.
by virtualmike » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:41 pm
jstrawn wrote:Almost daily I get a recorded political announcement from 415 553 6465.
Believe it or not, political calls are exempt from the Do Not Call requirements.
by thulsa_doom » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:32 pm
virtualmike wrote:
jstrawn wrote:Almost daily I get a recorded political announcement from 415 553 6465.
Believe it or not, political calls are exempt from the Do Not Call requirements.
Nothing in that law (that I'm aware of) would prevent a telephone customer from personally blacklisting such a caller, should such a tool be made available. The loopholes in the National Do Not Call Registry rules are such that about 95% of my telemarketers are exempt; I never bothered signing up to the darned thing.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by virtualmike » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:23 pm
thulsa_doom wrote:Nothing in that law (that I'm aware of) would prevent a telephone customer from personally blacklisting such a caller, should such a tool be made available.
Agreed. I wasn't arguing otherwise. If anything, I was supporting the case for blocking capability.
thulsa_doom wrote:The loopholes in the National Do Not Call Registry rules are such that about 95% of my telemarketers are exempt; I never bothered signing up to the darned thing.
It's a pretty poorly written law, and the implementation isn't much better. Shows what happens when our legislators have been bought.
by dane » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:55 am
I think the DNC is not too bad - but clearly the calls from the carve-out political, non-profit and survey groups are annoying. I'm also frustrated by what I see as unchecked bad actors: callers offering things like mortgage relief who clearly are calling from offshore and generating leads, apparently totally disregarding the DNC. They're also disregarding California's "no robo-calling" rules, as they're simply recordings.

We are planning to implement anon call rejection and hopefully also a blacklisting system, but it's currently only at the architecture stage. We are juggling a number of projects here, but it will rise to the top eventually!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by write2otto » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:31 pm
Good to know that it's in a road map!
Thanks Dane! I can't wait to get that!
by erich100 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:36 pm
New Fusion customer - wanted to get away from the ATT monopoly and the SOPA bill support from ATT was enough to switch over to Sonic finally....BUT the Monopolist wants me back so I believe it is according to some web sites the entity that calls few times a day and never leaves a message (from 877-401-5395). It is so bad that I will be turning off my phone and not answering it until there is a resolution. Think Sonic should help us here as I am an OPT Out all and DNC list customer.

1) Can Sonic identify this number and block it?
2) Can we get some way to block other numbers?

Other than that glad to be with a nice company like Sonic.
by dane » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:24 pm
erich100 wrote:New Fusion customer - wanted to get away from the ATT monopoly and the SOPA bill support from ATT was enough to switch over to Sonic finally....BUT the Monopolist wants me back so I believe it is according to some web sites the entity that calls few times a day and never leaves a message (from 877-401-5395). It is so bad that I will be turning off my phone and not answering it until there is a resolution. Think Sonic should help us here as I am an OPT Out all and DNC list customer.

1) Can Sonic identify this number and block it?
2) Can we get some way to block other numbers?

Other than that glad to be with a nice company like Sonic.
This is reportedly AT&T, trying to win you back! See the comments here - a few other new Sonic.net customers appear to be reporting this as well:

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-877-401-5395

We are working toward anon call rejection and a system for blocking specific inbound tel numbers. But, until that's live, I would suggest you do two things:

Register for donotcall.gov. This will block legitimate telemarketers working for companies that you do not have a relationship with. But, it will still allow all nonprofits, surveys, and political, so it's by no means complete.

For any others, ask three things:

Do you have a "do not call" policy? (They must respond "yes." If they do not, file a complaint at donotcall.gov.)
Will you mail me a copy of the policy? (They must respond yes, take your info and send it. If they do not, file a complaint at donotcall.gov.)
Will you place me on your do not call list? (They must respond yes, and add you. If you receive subsequent calls, file a complaint at donotcall.gov.)

So we don't simply have a blacklist function yet, we're working on it!

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:28 pm
A note regarding prior relationships with companies. A company can telemarket to you if you have done business with them in the previous 18 months. From the donotcall FAQ:

31:
Q: My number is on the National Do Not Call Registry. After I bought something from a company, a telemarketer representing that organization called me. Is this a violation?

A: No. By purchasing something from the company, you established a business relationship with the company. As a result, even if you put your number on the National Do Not Call Registry, that company may call you for up to 18 months after your last purchase or delivery from it, or your last payment to it, unless you ask the company not to call again. In that case, the company must honor your request not to call. If they subsequently call you again, they may be subject to a fine of up to $16,000 .

(See: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consume ... lt107.shtm )
Dane Jasper
Sonic
143 posts Page 2 of 15