Blocking Numbers

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
143 posts Page 4 of 15
by adamlang » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:09 pm
Add me to the list of people who would really like to be able to block calls.

Maybe I could get rid of the charity who seem to be calling me twice daily, now. Or the gentleman who calls me and reads random numbers into my answering machine once every two weeks or so, and who hangs up if I ever actually answer the phone. Which is just friggin' creepy.
by virtualmike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 pm
adamlang wrote:Or the gentleman who calls me and reads random numbers into my answering machine once every two weeks or so, and who hangs up if I ever actually answer the phone. Which is just friggin' creepy.
It IS creepy. Seems to me that's grounds to report him to your police department for harassment.
by ggladsto » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:17 pm
dane wrote:Can I prevail upon you all to give us an outline of the capabilities you'd like to see? Anon call rejection as a basic toggle is pretty easy, if the calls are to simply go to a readback, "This customer rejects blocked calls" or somesuch.
-Dane
Thanks for asking-

Most important on my list is blocking specific numbers (not just anonymous numbers). Ideally a web UI to manage the list of blocked numbers. Readback options would be nice, especially a "you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service" type message.

Given specific number blocking, could the call be blocked on the Sonic side such that no ring ever reaches the house?

Number blocking is among my top two most desired additions to Fusion (the other being fiber to my house in San Francisco:)
by kgc » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:54 pm
ggladsto wrote: Given specific number blocking, could the call be blocked on the Sonic side such that no ring ever reaches the house?
Yes, that really would be the primary intent of this feature if/when we support it.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by Guest » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:15 pm
I recently joined sonic. I have do not call which people ignore. I complained to the gov. about one and now they call and ask for me. When I answer they hang=up. I am very pleased with Sonic (especially the people oriented employees) but this is aggravating. I do hope Sonic can prefect the technology others have to block unidentified callers.
by jjackson13 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:53 pm
The blocking features in Google voice would work well here - spam gets a disconnect message, but add the option of blocking anonymous calls. That would cover pretty much anything.
by jmaser » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:57 pm
scharfs wrote:It would be great if there were a way to log into your Fusion account and have a way to add phone numbers to block.
Yes, please!

The political and "previous business relationship" exemptions to the DNR combined with those who flat out ignore the DNR is getting really tedious. the AT&T retention 877 called me twice today. While I report them to the DNR complain page, I'd rather be able to take a proactive role and manage it myself.

Also, I wouldn't be opposed to paying a bit extra for custom outgoing messages for those on the block list, I think I have an air horn around here somewhere :lol:
by cfabrizio » Thu May 03, 2012 12:01 pm
I get 5-10 junk calls a day after switching to Sonic, most of them with bogus identification like "Dover DE" "Comm Workers" "LSAN DA" etc.
Needless to say, I would appreciate the ability to block calls if that's the only solution. (I never even answer the phone anymore.)
Thanks!
by tasinda » Thu May 03, 2012 5:46 pm
I got five spam calls today alone and I've been on the donotcall.gov list since it began years and years ago. I faithfully go to donotcall.gov almost every day now the last several weeks, multiple times. I have *never* had so many spammer calls as I have since we switched to Fusion. Or maybe it's just more desperate spammers because of the economy and it's a coincidence, I don't know, but I really wish Sonic offered some kind of block feature. Many of these calls are recordings, at least add a feature where someone has to dial a number on the other end before the call is allowed to go through? I think we had that with AT&T years ago.

I'd turn the phone off, since we mostly communicate these days via email/text and cell phone, but this is our main line for banks, companies, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

~Annie
by tasinda » Thu May 03, 2012 6:34 pm
One more thing, just now I got another spam call and for the second time today it was only 7 digits: 501 followed by four numbers (apparently I picked up so quickly, my phone didn't retain the info). On the line was the same recording I've gotten for years now about the "public utilities".

But even if I had the full 7 numbers, I don't know what good it would do to list it on donotcall.gov because there was no area code, only 7.

This is the second time today someone called with the area code blocked so I can't see it.

If we can't give donotcall.gov the area code, they cannot investigate.

Please do something soon, that is the 6th (7th?) spam call I've gotten today and they are getting worse every day.

Thank you,
~Annie
143 posts Page 4 of 15