Blocking Numbers

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
143 posts Page 11 of 15
by dane » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:12 pm
Cyndi,

My concern was that some people choose not to answer the calls and request do-not-call (or press the button to be removed), which results in ongoing repeated calls. As we don't yet have blocking, that's the only short-term fix.

We are long overdue on delivery of this feature, and I'm sure you've got little interest in our excuses, but it is complex - and made more so by changes to our voice switching platform recently that caused some delay.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tikvah » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:27 pm
dane wrote:My concern was that some people choose not to answer the calls and request do-not-call (or press the button to be removed), which results in ongoing repeated calls. As we don't yet have blocking, that's the only short-term fix.
But there is no button to press to be removed. I've listened through some of these calls. Are they supposed to have a button? Probably. But they're supposed to not call me in the first place.

I *wish* blocking were here already but I trust you all to do a good job with it and get it out in a timely fashion. I think after these threads you know it's a priority project.

Cyndi
by dane » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:38 pm
Yup, understood - some illegal operators are using robocalls (illegal in CA) and also not maintaining an opt-out list (illegal in US.) I just raised the topic because in MY household, I see other members of the household look at the ringing phone, "Oh, it's XYZ calling again", and they simply don't answer it, even though it's a legitimate organization who WILL properly opt out. Then the call comes again the next day, etc.

For those you've done business with, or which are "legitimate" callers (surveys, political, etc), using their opt-out process is likely to be productive.

For those illegal callers - we need blocking!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by great googly moogly » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:20 pm
One of my persistent robo-callers calls me as a wrong number about once a week. The last time, I pressed 1 to talk to someone and was disconnected. I called the Caller ID number, and got a 'the number you have dialed is not in service' response. At least they consistently use the same bogus Called ID info, so I can one day block them :)
by toast0 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:44 pm
The FCC has announced their Robocall challenge: http://robocall.challenge.gov/

Their front page blurb is as follows:
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is challenging innovators to create solutions that will block illegal robocalls. These solutions should block robocalls on landlines and mobile phones and can operate on a proprietary or non-proprietary device or platform. Entries can be proposed technical solutions or functional solutions and proofs of concept.

The vast majority of telephone calls that deliver a prerecorded message trying to sell something to the recipient are illegal. As technology has advanced over the years, so have the number of illegal robocalls.

The winning solution will win $50,000 in cash, as well as opportunities for promotion, exposure, and recognition by the FTC. Solvers will retain ownership of their solutions.
It looks like they're expecting to get a document describing the solution, not an actual system, so I dunno how effective it will be, but I think it's on topic... send your good ideas to the FTC as well as here.
by mpulse » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:40 pm
Go for it Sonic, if not at least for the industry recognition and marketing opportunities.

I am happy to help with ideas and/or testing. I have one particular idea that I think can be fairly powerful but will share it off-line so as to give you a lead. (If interested.)
by dane » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:30 am
We have made one important step in blocking unwanted calls today:

Sonic.net Fusion adds unsolicited call blocking
http://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2012/10/26/so ... -blocking/

This feature is projected to block over one million unsolicited telemarketing calls to Fusion customers over the next year.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jwthomas » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:36 am
dane wrote:We have made one important step in blocking unwanted calls today:

Sonic.net Fusion adds unsolicited call blocking
http://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2012/10/26/so ... -blocking/

This feature is projected to block over one million unsolicited telemarketing calls to Fusion customers over the next year.
Thanks so much for this!
by tikvah » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:03 pm
Thanks, Dane and Sonic.

I went to the Voice functions area and I see there is indeed an option which is checked: Block Callers on the Fusion Voice Blocklist.

There is another option: Enable Caller ID Blocking

What does that do?

Cyndi
by thulsa_doom » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:38 pm
tikvah wrote:Thanks, Dane and Sonic.

I went to the Voice functions area and I see there is indeed an option which is checked: Block Callers on the Fusion Voice Blocklist.

There is another option: Enable Caller ID Blocking

What does that do?

Cyndi
Caller ID blocking causes your outbound calls to not provide caller ID information. Calls from you will show as "unavailable" for the recipient.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
143 posts Page 11 of 15