Fusion at a zillion feet from CO

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by qw2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:09 pm
I have Sonic.net Fusion at a zillion feet from the CO. Once they chose a pertinent speed setting, I'm getting very consistent error-free and stable connection. I have a whopping inbound 1142Kbps and outbound 923Kbps; the tech could have readjusted it at something like 1400Kbps inbound with outbound at 600Kbps but I figured something more symmetrical would be nice for a change.

It runs like molasses. I have to queue my usage, traffic shape my serial loads and run my life like a slow batch operation, but looking back at it, it is far better than the months I had no Internet at all! And, it's nice to finally see all the apps, programs, files and everything updated on my computers and smartphones after a week of catching up with all my Internet business and personal needs. I feel connected, alive and ready to go.

At some point in the future, I may either move from here or get more luxurious with a secondary speedier connection, but for now, Sonic.net came through with their Fusion service, and AMAZINGLY, it works, despite being over 3 miles wireline from the colocated telephone CO.

Was I hoping for something almost double of what it currently is? Yeah, sure ... you betcha ... but being realistic, this is pretty darn good for what the copper is being asked to do for me.
by guest » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:33 pm
seems like a 20% difference between 1.4M and 1.14M downstream :)
you can flip between Annex A and Annex M yourself by calling 611 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1095
by qw2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:51 pm
guest wrote:seems like a 20% difference between 1.4M and 1.14M downstream :)
you can flip between Annex A and Annex M yourself by calling 611 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1095
Thanks. I tried it and it didn't work right.

When I called 611,2,2, it said I was in the "upload prioritization profile", at 1142kbps in & 923kbps out (I'll express that as "1142/923" hereafter), and then the 611,2,1,2 option at that time explained that I was in the default Annex A profile (at 1142/923). This matched my http://gateway.sonic.net/ link status page, saying I was on "Annex A" at 1142/923. I eventually built up enough guts to press 611,2,1,1, at which point the modem resync'd and I got Annex A at 112/767 according to http://gateway.sonic.net/. 611,2,2 told me I was on the Annex M protocol at 112/767 on the download prioritization protocol, but the modem said I was still on Annex A. I then did 611,2,1,1 again and it told me it put me back on the default Annex A upload prioritization protocol, and after a few resyncs (including first sync Annex A at 1293/923) my modem settled into 1142/907 Annex A, and stayed stable (as far as I know, watching it for a few minutes writing this).

So, it's a fun tool, but it doesn't really help me. I got a few LNOLs (laugh not out loud) out of the inaccuracies (telling me that M was download prioritization protocol and that A was the upload prioritization protocol and A being said as M and never getting M), but for some damn reason being super poor like me I am TOOOOOOOOO used to that (and never ever got good at handling it but oh well); I want to move but just cannot afford it (so far for many damn years).
by qw2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:15 pm
qw2 wrote:611,2,2 told me I was on the Annex M protocol at 112/767 on the download prioritization protocol, but the modem said I was still on Annex A.
I realize I should probably postscript: as clarification: nothing I said above was a typo. I was actually on Annex A (according to my modem) at 112kbps inbound to me and 767kbps outbound from me when Sonic.net's 611,2,2 said I was on Annex M "download prioritization protocol" even though my "Annex A upload prioritization protocol" got me a speedier 1142kbps DOWNLOAD (inbound) speed. Yes, that's 112kbps vs. 1142kbps. Clarified.

It was a fun tool! I'm sure it behaves more usefully closer in.
by virtualmike » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:59 pm
qw2 wrote:
qw2 wrote:... even though my "Annex A upload prioritization protocol" got me a speedier 1142kbps DOWNLOAD (inbound) speed.
I've noted here before that the IVR seems to get it backwards. When I'm on Annex A, it tells me "upload prioritization."
by kgc » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:52 pm
That should be fixed now - the playback swapped them when the line was up and in service but not when it was down. I was probably too impatient when I reviewed this last and didn't wait to see that the IVR synced correctly, only that the toggle menu/playbacks were correct.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by qw2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 pm
Kelsey Cummings,

Thank you! I just verified that 611,2,2 says Line 1 is on the Download Prioritization profile at 1142/907, and that 611,2,1 said I was on the default Annex A download prioritization profile and I could hit 1 to go to Annex M.

I didn't press 1, though.

Brad
by kgc » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:08 pm
I mean: I didn't wait for the modem to sync to see what the IVR said. But fixed anyway!
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by virtualmike » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:16 pm
Excellent. ...thanks!
9 posts Page 1 of 1