Gigabit Fiber in Bernal Heights

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
131 posts Page 9 of 14
by soonahn » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:13 am
Great update, thank you Dane.

I understand that targets move, especially when they’re as large of projects as the ones ya’ll are doing. The estimated dates are great, but I get how they can be a two way street of good and bad as well.

I was just hoping for a little update on what happened and why the project got delayed and what we could expect.

I’m just eager to become a paying Sonic customer is all.

Thank you again Dane, I really appreciate the update.
by lunulair » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:07 am
Dear Sonic,

by dane » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:54 am
lunulair wrote:Dear Sonic,

Sorry. We are at the mercy of City processes.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lunulair » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:22 pm
dane wrote:Sorry. We are at the mercy of City processes.
I appreciate your responding to this drawn-out ordeal, but how was that not anticipated almost two years ago when you first started planning all this? Or is this some new hurdle that the city threw up part-way into the process? Is the current roadblock the last public-way step before lighting things up?
by lunulair » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:37 am
soonahn wrote:Just got pushed from August to November on the status page.
Our status page now says 'October 2023', so... yay?
by soonahn » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:56 pm
lunulair wrote:
soonahn wrote:Just got pushed from August to November on the status page.
Our status page now says 'October 2023', so... yay?
Mine still says November...
by aatreya » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:31 am
Hi Dane,

Would you mind sharing an update on this? I noticed there were a bunch of permits filed for our neighborhood, valid between Sept 5-15. And indeed, I saw numerous sidewalk construction permit signs with “Sonic Telecom” placed in the area during that time period.

But those signs are now gone, and as far as I can tell, work was not actually performed (saw no trucks and there are still large coils of fiber cable hanging from the poles that have been there for many months).

Thank you! Hoping for good news :)
by soonahn » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:05 am
I doubt it's good news. My fiber estimation tool dropped to October a few weeks ago, and now it's saying November as of this morning. I bet something happened in a permit process, and they got pushed back another 2-4 weeks minimum. But getting an update on this would be nice. I've gone out an built out an entire network rack preparing for 10 gig fiber. I want to use it!
by soonahn » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:57 pm
Dane, my current internet is really struggling and frustrating. I've been holding out waiting to go to Sonic, but if it keeps getting pushed off, I need to switch to AT&T just to keep sane. What's the policy for Sonic for buying me out of AT&T, and how difficult is the process?
by matt0023 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:44 am
ah rats, just did the pre-order on Sep 6 and the status page said October. Now it's been moved to November. Sort of a bummer because a year ago(?) there were Sonic workers/contractors on our street doing overhead cabling, and at least one day of them at the corner (Andover and Crescent) doing what looked like fiber splicing.

I think I'll have to suffer Comcast Business and their exorbitant rates for another year (contract ends Oct 30). First world problems I guess :D
Anyone here in South Bernal (Bernal Depths) currently on Sonic Fiber?
-Matt
131 posts Page 9 of 14