How can I get GIT installed for my website?

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by alm » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:32 pm
I would like to use git and github for version control for my website. How do I get GIT installed?

Thanks,
Al
by augie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:27 pm
I believe one of the Sys. Admins. here is investigating a system wide package, otherwise you could install software locally in your home directory on shell.sonic.net .
by alm » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:36 pm
Thanks for the info Augie. I look forward to hearing about a system wide git installation.

-Al

P.S. When I was trying to install git onto my website, I was literally in /home/www_pages/alm, and I was getting the message that I needed to be root to install git. I'll trying installing it to my home directory and see what happens.
by augie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:35 pm
You may need to tweak a few things to install it locally, but it shouldn't require 'root' privileges unless it's trying to install outside of your home directory, or if it tries to use some other restricted resource ( file system, network port, etc. ).
by wjimenez » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:54 pm
Just wanted to through in my vote for a git package to be installed on shell.sonic.net, that would be super useful!

Thanks
by augie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:28 pm
Votes should probably go over here:

http://sonicnet.uservoice.com/forums/138102-feedback
by thulsa_doom » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:14 pm
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by wjimenez » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:16 am
Nice, thanks!

I just voted it up too...
by Evan Moses » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:21 pm
Hey, so while I was hoping git would just be installed, I managed to get it working to manage my website anyway.

First I downloaded the source zip from github (the easiest way I found was to lynx https://github.com/git/, search for "Zip", and download it somewhere. Ignore the cert warnings).

Then, unzip the source, and do

Code: Select all

$mkdir ~/bin [if you don't already have a ~/bin directory]
$make NO_NSEC="YesPlease" NO_OPENSSL="YesPlease" NO_CURL="YesPlease" NO_PERL="YesPlease"
$make install NO_NSEC="YesPlease" NO_OPENSSL="YesPlease" NO_CURL="YesPlease" NO_PERL="YesPlease"
You have to turn off all those options because of the old versions of various dependencies on the Sonic shell. This will install the basic git tools to your ~/bin directory by default.

Finally, if you want to use git push via ssh successfully (and I'll assume you do), you need to create a file called .ssh/environment, and it's contents should be

Code: Select all

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/home/<letter>/<username>/bin
Where <letter> and <username> make the absolute path for your home directory. This is because non-interactive logins run sh instead of bash, and the minimal environment doesn't set your PATH to include your home directory's bin. Happy gitting.
by wjimenez » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:37 pm
Wow, you are genius! That is great, thanks for sharing.
10 posts Page 1 of 1