Old Sonic Modem Died. Why am I Being Pushed to Rent a Modem?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
72 posts Page 1 of 8
by katstep » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:10 pm
After a few years, my old Sonic provided ZTE ADSL modem died. It's been buggy for a while, but now it's done. I called Sonic thinking I could buy/replace this modem (as I've done in the past) and was told that unless I rent their Pace 4111n router, I'll have no support in configuring my new setup, which I always had in the past. Sonic won't sell me the Pace modem/router and at $6.50 a month to rent, it's like buying a new router every year! I researched this router to buy and apparently it's not available for consumer purchase. Lame! I briefly considered renting one, but was told it had no USB interface, which I rely on for my home NAS. Deal breaker. I've been with Sonic since I first went online in 1996, but this is pushing me to consider a new carrier for the first time. It just seems very coercive and counter to what my past experience with Sonic has been. Q: Why not just sell me the Pace router/modem? A: Because I guess it's just a new revenue stream for Sonic to rent it. Not a happy customer.
by gourn3 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:45 am
Just buy another modem at your local electronics store. If you're not comfortable in setting it up, find somebody who can help you, or just post it here. Even if Sonic doesn't help you, I'm sure one of the other tech savvy persons in here will help you out.
by torstenb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:03 pm
DSL is a standard technology and pretty much any ADSL2+ modem should do. You can find them by the hundreds on craigslist. E.g. I have been using a 7 years old Siemens SpeedStream 4100 for years.

Just keep in mind when buying off of craigslist or ebay that service providers often use custome firmware on modems to avoid the (potential) complex setup process. Such a service provider-branded modem (e.g. AT&T specific ones etc.) may need additional work to get them running on Sonic.net. But again, any (non-service provider branded) mainstream ADSL2+ model should be pretty straight forward to hook up.
by katstep » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:24 pm
Thanks for the kind answers. Sonic make it sound like only their modem is the best choice. They are really pushing their Pace modem/router hard. Very unlike the Sonic I've known in the past. Guess I'll grab a modem from newegg or some other vendor. Thanks again.
by digitalbitstream » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:41 pm
I "get" why sonic is pushing their modem. But it's sad. Just about the only negative sentiment about sonic is the modem rental fee.
by tnt89868 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:04 am
Not sure why you say you can't buy it anywhere. I remember Best Buy selling it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pace---Home ... Id=4845848

Maybe it's a different version???? I don't know for sure but model number is same.
by katstep » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:15 am
Thanks for the tip. Your link is for the AT&T branded one. It's pre-configured for AT&T. I'm told that it's possible to reconfigure it, but it's not easy. The Sonic folks basically told me it wouldn't work. It's the unbranded and Sonic branded Pace router that is not available. Anyone here able to successfully use this AT&T one?
by dane » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:09 pm
A word of caution: IPv6 won't work on an AT&T Pace unit.

One other item to weigh as you consider modem rental: to add some additional value to our modem rental, we will soon also be including a "ServicePro"* feature, akin to ATT's "WirePro", where inside wire repair is included, so you'll never pay for a truck roll, technician visit or materials.

* We are still working on the name for this feature. Someone suggested "WireService", another "Fusion Reactor". Sonic.net Service Guarantee was another idea. Anyone have any bright ideas? (WirePro is a service mark of ATT.)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by katstep » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:20 pm
Dane, why won't Sonic give me the option to just buy their Pace branded router, and what is IPv6? I've been a Sonic member since 1996 and have never felt "pushed" to rent something from you. I've always had the option to buy a modem from you guys. It's actually pretty disappointing. FWIW, inside wiring service isn't really an enticement for me.
by virtualmike » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:21 pm
dane wrote:Anyone have any bright ideas?
Fusion Complete?
Fusion End-to-End?
72 posts Page 1 of 8