advice on wireless router/modem combos?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by judithstacey » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:23 pm
Can anyone recommend a good, reliable, easy to install and use wireless router and modem combo for fairly simple DSL home use. I've been through a tech support saga over the past month trying to trouble-shoot why my wireless internet access keeps dropping. Yesterday, on sonic tech support advice, I purchased a new modem. It works fine on direct ethernet connection, but when I plug it into my cisco linksys router, the wireless access keeps dropping. Sonic support now advises me to buy a new wireless router, but suggested that a router/modem combo might be a better idea. They can't recommend brands.

Can anyone help by suggesting good and SIMPLE brands and models? Many thanks!
by digitalbitstream » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:11 pm
Your problem might be at the computer end of things. What's there?
by judithstacey » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:39 am
digitalbitstream wrote:Your problem might be at the computer end of things. What's there?
I don't think that's a problem because it works fine with the ethernet and in other wireless hotspots. It's a Dell laptop.
by digitalbitstream » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:22 pm
The Netgear DGN2200 works with Sonic plug and play, has consumer friendly setup screens, and consumer friendly features like a guest wifi login.

Amazon reviews are mixed, with those having trouble reporting hell with customer support from India.

Your most supported option, but not the least expensive, is to call up Sonic Customer Support and rent a Pace 4111N for $6.50/month. The unit is solid, basic, and you can't beat the support.
by gf mountain view » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:03 pm
See my post earlier this week " new DSL Modem - sonic support to the rescue"
Since you're looking for a single combo unit it changes your mode vrs mine.
If you go the bought route (vrs rental) good luck getting all the detail and minute setup and config. I'm pretty good at it and both sonic & I had hours of attempts with the other modems I noted (not the mentioned netgear model.)
5 posts Page 1 of 1