How can I get Fusion in El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by RWerner » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:26 pm
For the past couple of years, whenever I check to see if Fusion is available I receive this message:
We are currently unable to provide you with Fusion because you are 8444 feet behind a remote terminal, which blocks the Fusion signal.
So, how many neighbors would I have to line up to commit to Fusion service for implementation? 10, 25, 50, 100, 500+?
by virtualmike » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:43 pm
RWerner wrote:
We are currently unable to provide you with Fusion because you are 8444 feet behind a remote terminal, which blocks the Fusion signal.
Unfortunately, unless you can convince AT&T to build a new central office closer to your home, nothing is going to change.

Most of El Cerrito is served from the Richmond central office, with a few served by the Berkeley/Alameda CO. The Richmond CO is located at 2105 MacDonald Ave. As an example, the distance to that from the El Cerrito BART station is about 3.5 miles (over 18,000 feet). That's a fairly long distance for a phone line that does anything more than voice.

A remote terminal is like a miniature CO that fits in a small cabinet by the side of the road. These can be located closer to the homes and businesses they serve, so that the length of the phone line is shorter, meaning that it has better ability to carry high-speed data. (This also means that fewer wires need to go all the way back to 2105 MacDonald Ave.)

Unfortunately, due to the rules that AT&T managed to get the FCC to enact, AT&T does not have to give Sonic.net access to those remote terminals. If you want to get broadband through your phone line, your only choice is AT&T. :evil:
3 posts Page 1 of 1