2 issues with new web mail

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by virtualmike » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:29 pm
Two things I've noticed with web mail.

1. When I hit <Enter>, instead of a new line, I get a new paragraph. This "standard" was introduced by Microsoft, and is annoying. For all other applications except Word, I have to hit two <Enter>s to get a new paragraph, so my fingers are used to it. (When using Word, my mind is in a different paradigm, so it's not so annoying.) Would it be possible to give us an option whether we want a new paragraph or just a new line when pressing <Enter>?

2. I replied to an email that had several embedded graphics. The reply treated the graphics as attachments (as is often done for MIME email). However, when I deleted the attachments, the screen display did not adjust as I expected.

Before I deleted the attachments:

After I deleted the attachments:

You can see how the compose window moved up to fill the space where the attachments had been listed. I would have expected it to expand up.
by virtualmike » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:56 pm
<bump>
by rodrigo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:54 pm
Sorry for the delay!

For the first one, I think that's an issue of the behavior of the 'rich' editor vs the plain text editor. I'm not sure I want to be messing with the newline functionality unless it's a more widespread complaint.

As to the second issue, I was able to reproduce it and have added it to the bug list.
by virtualmike » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:37 pm
Thanks for the response. For the new line vs paragraph issue, would it be possible to check to see if it might be a editor parameter? I've encountered that before when rolling out a project that included web forms with rich text editing.

In both situations, the developers discovered it was an optional switch for calling the editor control. Depending on the setting, <Enter> could either terminate a <p>, or it could insert a <br>.

It looks like you're using the mceEditor. I'm not sure which version, but perhaps this will point the way:
http://www.tinymce.com/wiki.php/Configu ... p_newlines
4 posts Page 1 of 1