Fusion speed drop

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by a1zhang » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:01 am
Hi, I was getting 7-8mbps few weeks ago, but recently it has dropped to a dismal 3-4mbps and stays that way. I live in the 94112 area, is anyone facing the same problem as me? I called support and did the routine things but it didn't fix anything. I don't want this to be persistent..... :(
by bronscon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:12 am
It could be network congestion local to you, but it's more likely a physical issue with your line. Head over to https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Category:DSL_Modem and pick out your modem from the list, that will tell you some basic information about your modem, which should include how to access its web interface. Once in the web interface, find the DSL line stats and post them here; someone should be able to assist you better once that's been done, at lest as far as determining whether the issue lies in your line or Sonic.net's network. Further troubleshooting can be done from that point.

If your modem isn't listed or you can't find the line stats in the web interface, post back with the make and model of your modem and I'm sure someone here will likely be able to guide you further with that information. Note that if your modem isn't listed, you're not likely to get support from Sonic.net on this issue, since the listed modems are the ones they support (though I've seen them go above and beyond in the past).

I don't work for Sonic.net but I did installs for AT&T for a while in the early '00s so I've got more than a passing familiarity with ADSL, though I wasn't around when ADSL2/+ was rolled out so I'm not 100% on some of the nuances of the current tech; I'll do what I can to at least pinpoint the issue, if that's helpful.
by a1zhang » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:01 pm
Here's my DSL details:

any help would be appreciated.
by bronscon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:20 pm
Your line has a max sync rate of 5116kbps which could either be because that's all it can handle in its current state, or because Sonic.net's network management has been gradually lowering your profile over time due to poor line conditions and/or a high error rate.

In either case, the problem lies with your line, rather than Sonic.net's network. A call to their customer service line will yield more information regarding whether their system is limiting your rate (which would indicate a longer-running problem with your line) or your modem is doing so itself due to adverse line conditions.

Your best bet is to call during normal business hours since most of the technicians and engineers who can read and properly interpret the line stats and bit allocation chart for your line tend to leave around 5.

As a first step before bothering to call in, though, I would try a new phone cable; preferably one just long enough to reach the jack, and if your modem is far from the jack, I suggest moving it closer. If that doesn't fix the issue, then regardless of what you hear from Sonic.net when you call (as far as whether your modem or their system is limiting your sync rate) the most likely solution will involve getting a technician out to your home to run some new phone wiring.

Before anyone jumps in with "But Sonic.net says they don't rate cap os it's really crappy if they're capping my line", consider the following: when your sync rate is higher than your line can handle the error rate increases, leading to a higher incidence of packet loss and/or loss of sync, which means overall slower speeds and a poorer experience for you as a user. By detecting the problem and proactively limiting the sync rate little by little until the error rate is under control, you actually end up with overall faster and more stable service (though your peak speeds e.g. during a speed test may be lower). I don't know the details of what triggers rate limiting or exactly how it is implemented, other than it's automated and *can* be disabled, as was done on my line when a rapid series of resyncs (while I was rerunning a bunch of cabling) triggered it on my line. I'm not sure than anyone at Sonic.net would be willing/able to divulge those details either; and it really doesn't matter because it's certain that the factors that trigger it are beyond your control in all but the most extreme of edge scenarios.

Best of luck getting your speeds back up to par!
by dane » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:53 pm
Do ring support again - if the things they tried on the first call didn't resolve the issue, they'll take the next appropriate step. That might include sending new equipment, or dispatching a technician. Do ring them, just call 611 from your Fusion line, we're here until 11pm.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
5 posts Page 1 of 1