Web Counter

General discussions and other topics.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:04 pm
I'm having an issue with the web counter. Instead of a counter I receive a "Could not write to counter file" error. The counter would worked for awhile and then stop working. I intend to investigate the issue further. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone else receives such an error?
by Guest » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:19 am
After further investigation the following is currently true.

Counter Doesn't Work
  • <UserName>.members.sonic.net
  • <UserName>.users.sonic.net
Counter Works
by Guest » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:54 pm
In case anyone was wondering, 66 percent failure rate is bad. :)

Looking further; to me the permissions look a little odd in the "data" directory. Some of the "*.dat" files have -rw-rw-rw- permissions, while others have -rw-r--r-- permissions. Also, I believe ownership isn't suppose to be mixed between me and the web server. The HTML is correct. There doesn't appear to be anything more I can do on my end to fix the problem.
by adame » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:22 pm
If you can tell us your username, we'd be happy to look into this. If you feel uncomfortable doing so publicly, feel free to PM me or drop us an email at support@sonic.net.
Adam Martinetti
Customer Experience Manager
Sonic.
by Guest » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:37 pm
E-mail sent.
by Guest » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:08 am
I never spoke with Adam. In over a decade with Sonic I have never witnessed so much effort to not completely take care of an issue in which the problem was created by Sonic and the customer has ZERO control over. Two possible Apache errors, one gets fixed and the other forgotten about. When reminded, now it's go back to the forum so the issue can be discussed because this is an issue we don't support in an official capacity. All that wasted time going back and forth would have had both trivially easy to fix issues corrected by now. :roll:
by adame » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:31 am
I was surprised to see that your interaction had been entirely handled by other support reps when it was specifically addressed to me. We'll touch on that internally to prevent it from happening again.

I apologize for the difficulty we've had as a group in recognizing a clear problem in our side of things. It's been years since we've had any questions about our web counter, and I think many of us are unfamiliar with it. I'm going to walk the second possible apache error you outlined over to our Ops group immediately and see if there's anything we can do to fix it.
Adam Martinetti
Sonic.
by adame » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:57 am
The issue has been fixed for your counters. Newly generated counters (for the moment) will still have these same issues.
Adam Martinetti
Sonic.
by Guest » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:13 pm
Thank you Adam.
9 posts Page 1 of 1