Pace modem rebooting itself frequently

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by gopiballava » Tue May 28, 2013 6:29 pm
I'm hoping somebody has some suggestions about how to deal with an exceedingly odd problem...

My sonic.net-supplied Pace DSL is rebooting itself frequently, multiple times a day at this point. Three times today, at least twice yesterday. The last *four* of them have done this...in two different houses with *nothing* in common except for my Mac and iOS computers over WiFi.

What happens is that all of a sudden I get no Internet connectivity. WiFI is still connected. I can't reach the router or ping it; no response from 192.168.42.1. No new DHCP leases will be handed out. This is consistent across my MacOS computers and iOS devices. When I've connected a wired link, I see the same basic behavior - ethernet link, but no DHCP. After about 10 minutes, WiFi disappears, the lights on the modem blink, and it reboots itself.

The first troubleshooting step would likely be to replace the modem. That was done, and didn't improve things at all. My next troubleshooting step was more drastic (although unrelated to this): I've moved to the East Bay. I got service using a different account, different modem, different city, different power cable - everything.

Previously in Palo Alto the modem was plugged in next to a server and some other hardware. Now that I'm in Berkeley, the modem is hooked up in the basement, with nothing physically connected except power and PSTN.

I'm not doing anything weird on my computer. No strange IP services, the modem/router is at default config except for WiFi SSID and key. Right now one laptop and a couple iPhones and iPads.

Any thoughts? I don't want to switch to a different provider but if this can't be sorted I'm going to have to.
by virtualmike » Tue May 28, 2013 10:13 pm
Support should be dealing with this! Call 611. :)
by cduran » Wed May 29, 2013 9:25 am
Thank you for the report.

I'd like to get our vendor involved in troubleshooting this one. I'll have a support representative reach out to coordinate.
Chris Duran
3 posts Page 1 of 1