First Beta Webmail Updates Released

General discussions and other topics.
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by kgc » Wed May 22, 2013 10:49 am
We pushed out the updates to the beta webmail system yesterday afternoon. This version includes several notable changes.
  • Checkboxes for selecting messages as an alternate to CTRL/SHIFT-Click or keyboard hotkeys
    Friedlier to small resolution displays (tested down to 1024x768)
    Phone/tablet specific templates which are suitable for touch screen use
    Importing of CSV address books
    "Remeber Me" functionality to save password
And a lot of other miscelaneous bug fixes pulled in from uptream and fixed locally as well.

At this point, we still consider it to be a work in progress but is our first major step towards integrating customer feedback into the new webmail client.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by virtualmike » Fri May 24, 2013 12:17 am
Looks great. I found a couple of nits, though.

- The Larry skin looks better on my iPad than the Sonic Mobile skin
- With the Sonic Mobile skin, I can't get to the basic preferences (e.g., Settings, then Settings button doesn't work)

More testing later when I try it from my work computer. :-)
by kgc » Fri May 24, 2013 10:33 am
virtualmike wrote:Looks great. I found a couple of nits, though.

- The Larry skin looks better on my iPad than the Sonic Mobile skin
- With the Sonic Mobile skin, I can't get to the basic preferences (e.g., Settings, then Settings button doesn't work)

More testing later when I try it from my work computer. :-)
The desktop skin does look better, but expecting users to know about things like "two finger scrolling" isn't really a good option for us. Anyway, a work in progress.

There are some issues navigating the settings on the mobile skins but so far as I know, only becuase it doens't expand the tabs out by default which leads to some confusion. IRRC, you can still open them all up though.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by km6xu » Fri May 24, 2013 1:04 pm
Sadly, aliases are *still* broken, and there are some folks in my address book that can't be found by any means unless I used the old webmail (in which I can still get things done more quickly).

Also, now when I open an e-mail and click 'reply,' there is no included text! Is there a new setting somewhere that I need to check?
by km6xu » Fri May 24, 2013 1:53 pm
Jeff at Sonic encouraged me to follow up. And yes, even after a reboot, reply is still broken (no included text), but thanks to Jeff, I took a look around, and saw that many things have been improved, especially in the preferences. I would encourage anybody who hasn't looked at the preferences in a while to go and take a peek. Some more things:

I see that there is a means to import .csv files. Please please please also make a .csv writer (a lot easier than a .csv reader). My Android (Verizon) phone can import the .csv file, though I would like to know of any suggestions out there either for merging .csv files, or for keeping them in sync between Sonic and Verizon. My e-mail address book has almost a thousand entries, and having two continuously diverging address books is a hassle.

One's address book can only be shown in chucks up to 200 entries. If one has a reasonable internet connection, it doesn't seem like showing more at a time would be a problem. Why the limitation?

I am glad to see Sonic making plain text the default rather than succumbing to the world of HTML. This new client seems to be a nice balance, allowing one to see the HTML baggage that fills so many legitimate e-mails.

Sadly, it seems a little late regarding top-posting, a battle that was lost in the 1990s. It was a shame that so many e-mail clients back in the day by default pushes one to top-post. In Sonic's explanation, it should have been mentioned that top-posting also does not discourage one from being lazy, and many never excise any included text from their reply, not even when responding to something that goes onto an e-mail reflector with many users. As a result, we end up with "me too" postings followed by a thousand lines of included text, making it a pain for each and every person on the list, particularly those with mobile devices.
by Guest » Fri May 24, 2013 8:55 pm
km6xu wrote:Sadly, it seems a little late regarding top-posting, a battle that was lost in the 1990s. It was a shame that so many e-mail clients back in the day by default pushes one to top-post. In Sonic's explanation, it should have been mentioned that top-posting also does not discourage one from being lazy, and many never excise any included text from their reply, not even when responding to something that goes onto an e-mail reflector with many users. As a result, we end up with "me too" postings followed by a thousand lines of included text, making it a pain for each and every person on the list, particularly those with mobile devices.
Blame Microsoft applications that started this behavior. Whenever I use a client that has sane quoting, I will pare things down like a lot of forum software and clients like Thunderbird; but truth be told, I also quote the entire thread at work because that's what people expect.
by raillard » Wed May 29, 2013 11:26 pm
The new checkboxes have a bit of a problem: If you carefully click on top of the checkboxes they get selected properly, as expected, but if you click outside a checkbox, even by a very tiny distance, that single message gets selected with a checkmark, but the rest of your selected messages loose their checkmarks and become deselected again.

A couple of other observations: Most webmail systems have a single checkbox in the column header over the other checkboxes for selecting/deselecting a whole webpage of messages at once. That can be handy if one wants to delete a bunch of older messages by the pageful.

In IE8 the selection and deselection process takes almost a full second per click on a checkbox. It feels faster in Opera 12, but still slower than I'm used to using Sonic's earlier webmail systems.
by cindylm » Wed May 29, 2013 11:39 pm
Unfortunately, this version is all but useless on Safari on my iPad. (Also unfortunately, the iPad is all I have to use, due to a rather thorough robbery.)

The login box takes up the whole screen...?!

I go smack into my inbox and can't see email addresses, just subjects and user names. Everything is stretched all the way across the screen, with no columns. I click on "settings," and get a long, blank page.

I'm going back to atmail for now. I wish I had the time to do real beta testing but, alas, I don't.

Cindy
by km6xu » Wed May 29, 2013 11:47 pm
Dang, Cindylm, I am sorry to hear about your loss.
If there is a hell, it's fires wait for folks who do stuff like that.

I use Google Chrome, and this new version of webmail doesn't let
me drag an e-mail from my inbox list to one of the other folders.

I am using the new webmail most of the time, but when I have to
find some people in my address book or do something in a hurry,
I still have to use the old webmail.
by cindylm » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:40 pm
Thank you, km6xu.
14 posts Page 1 of 2