Which battery backup for fiber?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by ggladsto » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:04 pm
We got gigabit fiber 1-2 years ago but did not get the backup battery. We have had a few power outages during that time where it would have been nice to have land-line phone and wifi access. What is the best route to get a backup battery at this point? Buy one retail or from Sonic?
by rtrinh » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:50 am
Get one retail. APC or Cyberpower are two common brands of UPS to go with.
by spencerw » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:16 pm
You can order one from us by calling our support team at 1 (855) 394-0100. We offer 2 battery backup options, both require an installation by one our field technicians. The first option is the PS18L which is an 8-hour battery backup made by Powertec Solutions Incorporated (PSI) and costs $99. The second option is the PS36L which is an 24-hour battery backup also made by PSI and costs $299. If you have another other questions, please let me know.
Spencer W.
Community and Escalations Specialist
Sonic
by ggladsto » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:21 am
From what I can tell I could get something like the APC BX1500M (1500VA/900W) or a Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD (also 1500VA/900W) that would power my ONT and router (combined 3.5A x 12V = 42W) for a little over two hours (my electrical engineering is basic- is this about right?) for $150-$200.

If the $99 Sonic battery powers them for 8 hours- what would be the advantage of not getting the Sonic supplied one?
by kyle.depasquale » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:36 am
Are there any battery backup options for those of us on FTTN? It looks like the ATT supplied router can accept a battery.
by dane » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:59 pm
kyle.depasquale wrote:
Are there any battery backup options for those of us on FTTN? It looks like the ATT supplied router can accept a battery.


I don't think that'll work - my dim recollection is that it just backs up the voice jacks on that unit, which we don't use.

Any medium sized UPS should do, for your router, telephone adaptor and any extra WiFi equipment you might have. I'd recommend this same setup for any of our services, Fusion, Fiber or IP Broadband. The equipment does not draw a lot of power, but a medium size unit will last longer than a very small one.

Sonic does offer a battery backup for our ONT (the small white fiber gateway that outputs Ethernet and POTS voice), with an eight hour and a 24-hour version available, but this does not back up the router/Wi-Fi equipment, so you'd need a second unit anyway. Maybe better to just to plug both devices into the one unit if they happen to be located next to each other.
Dane Jasper
CEO
Sonic
by rtrinh » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:10 pm
ggladsto wrote:
From what I can tell I could get something like the APC BX1500M (1500VA/900W) or a Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD (also 1500VA/900W) that would power my ONT and router (combined 3.5A x 12V = 42W) for a little over two hours (my electrical engineering is basic- is this about right?) for $150-$200.

If the $99 Sonic battery powers them for 8 hours- what would be the advantage of not getting the Sonic supplied one?


The $99 battery option only powers the ONT so you'll still need to figure something out to power the router.

And keep in mind the calculations you made is in a situation where you're really pushing the router to it's max. For typical and in a power outage situation it's going to be near idle so runtime can be much longer.
by ggladsto » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:45 pm
rtrinh wrote:
And keep in mind the calculations you made is in a situation where you're really pushing the router to it's max. For typical and in a power outage situation it's going to be near idle so runtime can be much longer.


Great point! Thanks!!
8 posts Page 1 of 1

Who is online

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 422 on Sat May 26, 2012 5:28 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests