New Modem/Router Required?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by Guest » Sat May 11, 2013 5:07 pm
Hi Sonic,

I've been getting sick of AT&T's internet pricing and I've been thinking about switching to Sonic by the end of the month (before that promo ends). Right now I'm running a Siemens Speedstream 4100 modem from AT&T and an Asus wireless router. I already have DSL filters and whatnot ready. Do I still require a new modem/router combo? Is it possible to provide my own modem to avoid the $6.50 monthly charge?

Thanks.
by Guest » Sat May 11, 2013 11:15 pm
Same person again. From browsing the site, the modem/router combo is required. Is it possible to disable wifi on it and hook up said router and broadcast wifi?

Thanks.
by dane » Sun May 12, 2013 10:45 am
Guest wrote:Same person again. From browsing the site, the modem/router combo is required. Is it possible to disable wifi on it and hook up said router and broadcast wifi?

Thanks.
Yes, you can disable wifi, or even put the modem into bridge mode. However, IPv6 will require router mode (or another router which supports 6RD.) IPTV will also depend on the router in its default configuration.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Fri May 31, 2013 5:27 pm
OMG. I love Sonic, switched over this morning. 14.4Mbps down and 1.07Mbps up!
by digitalbitstream » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:26 am
Don't sell you your existing router / wifi yet.
Get the sonic package (including a Pace Modem).
Keep the pace running for a month.
Then switch back to the old setup, verify everything is good.
Now you can call sonic and get a mailing label to return the rental modem.
by dane » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:31 am
digitalbitstream wrote:Don't sell you your existing router / wifi yet.
Get the sonic package (including a Pace Modem).
Keep the pace running for a month.
Then switch back to the old setup, verify everything is good.
Now you can call sonic and get a mailing label to return the rental modem.
I wouldn't encourage this.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:38 pm
What's the point of doing that? Sonic already charges $6.50 to use their modem monthly. Even if I return their equipment, I still have to pay that fee. I'm happy with Sonic. :)

As for now, I disabled the wifi broadcasting of the Pace and used my router instead.
by digitalbitstream » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:33 pm
Guest wrote:What's the point of doing that? Sonic already charges $6.50 to use their modem monthly. Even if I return their equipment, I still have to pay that fee. I'm happy with Sonic. :)
Per sonic: if you don't have sonic's modem, you don't pay the rental fee.

Per me: the rental fee is too high, and there's no longevity bonus if you stay for years and years, and the equipment limits your flexibility. I think sonic should offer a basic bridge (no wifi, no ports) in the base package.
by a55n8z1k » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:58 am
the rental fee is too high, or we should just buy the modem for $77 dollars but we think we are paying for a rental fee YES, and the equipment limits your flexibility. I think sonic should offer a basic bridge (no wifi, no ports) in the base package.

Thank You for Listening
Henry D.
by a55n8z1k » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:45 am
I think you will get a good benefit out of the modem/router if you have Fusion......
15 posts Page 1 of 2