expected speed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Fri May 03, 2013 1:35 pm
The site says I'm 9,920 feet from the CO. Is there a way to test what my actual speed will be before I commit to service?
by thulsa_doom » Fri May 03, 2013 1:46 pm
Not really. Conditions differ from line to line, even at similar distances. Dane posted a scatter plot of actual speeds by loop length at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26917794- a while back, and as you can see there's a great deal of variation.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by Peterdear338 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:41 pm
I am 9400feet from co, I am getting speed from 0.24mbs-3.9mbs. depending on the time. Called support and they told me to try a different modem. I bought the modem from sonic in april 2012 when I switched from AT&T. So be careful, you may get the same thing , unreliable speed.
by dane » Tue May 14, 2013 9:12 pm
Peterdear338 wrote:I am 9400feet from co, I am getting speed from 0.24mbs-3.9mbs. depending on the time. Called support and they told me to try a different modem. I bought the modem from sonic in april 2012 when I switched from AT&T. So be careful, you may get the same thing , unreliable speed.
Don't settle for an unstable or too-slow-for-distance connection. Do follow up and let us know if a new modem cures the issue - or if we have to dispatch and fix your inside wiring or the loop to the central office. The support team here is great, and will assist you through the process.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by adame » Tue May 14, 2013 11:08 pm
I am getting speed from 0.24mbs-3.9mbs. depending on the time.

Tangential to Dane's point, I see the assumption behind this come up a lot, that if your speed varies depending on time of day, the problem is a network capacity issue on our side. That should never be the case with Fusion. We go out of our way to make sure there's plenty of bandwidth to go around, and if you're seeing slowdowns at a specific time, please give us a call. The problem's almost always a physical wiring issue on your local loop, and 9 times out 10 it's very fixable.
Adam Martinetti
Customer Experience Manager
Sonic.
5 posts Page 1 of 1