zarafa email and collaboration platform ?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by neilh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:27 am
I wonder if anyone is trying the zarafa.com email and collaboration platform ?
I'm trying it on Synology DS212j Diskstation (open source linux server), and using it to access my sonic.net through imapd.
The new sonic.net webmail is excellent - even with 3000 emails in the inbox.
On my home PC WinXp I use Thunderbird/imap and my wife Outllook/imap, and I've been using it with K9/imap/android2.2/ smartphone/Comet(U8150) over wifi (no data plan)
However it would be nice to integrate address books and also have mutlipile calendars that my wife and I can share and be distributed to smartphones/tablets when connected.
Zarafa - claims to be a replacement for a Microsoft Outlook server - with what I see added benefits of calendar and address book sharing across all clients whereever they are with interenet access.

I'm wondering if there is any fundamental sticking points with Zarafa imap (running as a server) syncing with my accounts on imapd.sonic.net servers.
Zarafa architecture - http://www.zarafa.com/wiki/index.php/Fi ... n_pop3.png
Zarafa installation on Synology: http://www.zarafa.com/wiki/index.php/Za ... nology_NAS
thanks for any thoughts.
Neil
by neilh » Wed May 08, 2013 4:04 pm
An update.
It turns out when I enabled a Zafari user as imap and pointed it at my account - it sucked in all the emails from my account. That is it read and then deleted them off imap.sonic.net and did it at the rate of about 1email/second so took about 4 hours.
After that I disabled the Zafari accessing imap.sonic
I was hoping that the imap designation would be sharing - that is they both would be accessible from the same place - but instead - the Zarafa server sucked them off.
So seem Zarafa could be part of a personal cloud, but might be a lot of work to figure out all the ins-n-outs.
by dane » Wed May 08, 2013 4:07 pm
Wow, that's bad manners on their part! Were they clear at all that they were going to mess with your IMAP mail store?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1