Connection issues after new modem/router install

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by kac63 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:27 am
I recently hooked up a new modem/router, a Zoom X5 5654 ADSL model, and for reference my computer is an iMac running OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), and my internet connectivity is somewhat funky. I've run DSL tests that indicate my download and upload speeds are excellent, and latency is fine too. Problem is some web sites run just fine, while others have slow performance while still others bog down completely and I receive failure to connect error messages. Also, while I can connect to Sonic via my regular Thunderbird email program or through Sonic's web email program and view the headers, I receive timeout error messages when trying to actually read the messages. I'm an experienced computer user, but by no means an expert, and I'm at a loss to figure out why my internet connection is so spotty.

Any ideas about what settings I can tweak in my modem/router setup to rectify this issue? Thank you!

KC
by twoescudo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:01 pm
Power down the modem/router and leave it unplugged for a few minutes. Turn off the computer too. Disconnect and reconnect all the cables to make sure the connections are seated firmly in the jacks. Plug the modem back in, let it power up completely then fire up the computer.

If that doesn't help then maybe swap out the cables with different ones like the DSL cable to the modem side and the ethernet cable to the router side.

If that doesn't work then connect a different computer to the router side. Maybe borrow a friends laptop or ask a neighbor if they can plug theirs in to see if the same problem occurs.

Check the modem/router firmware for anything obviously goofy in the settings. Perhaps RTFM too.

Try a different modem/router if you can borrow one or get a loaner from a store.

Try connecting your iMac to someone else's network/internet connection to rule out a problem with the computer itself. Maybe you could do that a Mac store.

Basically start ruling out different possible points of failure. The above can be done in any sequence.

Good luck. Post back if you get it sorted out.
by digitalbitstream » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:49 pm
Open a terminal window, run "ping" to some server. Set it run every few seconds. See if THAT is timing out:
ping -i 2 -c 5000 nytimes.com
Also if you can switch from WiFi to a wired connection, try that.
3 posts Page 1 of 1