recommendation for basic adsl modem?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by keigen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:23 pm
My fusion service has been erratic and has been dropping out over the past month, and the tech that Sonic sent out has tentatively pinned the problem on the Motorola 2210 I bought from Sonic when I signed up two years ago. I don't want to get the new Pace modem that Sonic offers, both because it's on a rental program and because it doesn't run DD-WRT, which I'm running on my router. Does anyone have any recommendations for a basic ADSL modem that can run in bridge mode to link to my router? I'm hesitant to just pick one randomly based on internet reviews, because the one I had before the Motorola didn't work at all.

Thanks for any help.
by dane » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:13 pm
No specific suggestions on modems - really any ADSL2+ capable modem should be fine.

But, with regards to DD-WRT, there is a bug where it blocks the DHCP lease renewal, so you'll be knocked offline briefly every five minutes. This bug has existed in DD-WRT for a long, long time, and I don't know if it's being addressed by the maintainers or not.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by keigen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:28 pm
Thanks so much for the quick reply and advice on this, Dane. There's a bug-fix suggestion on that problem on the DD-WRT forums- I don't know if that's what's effecting me, but I'll try it and see what happens.
by dane » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:43 pm
keigen wrote:Thanks so much for the quick reply and advice on this, Dane. There's a bug-fix suggestion on that problem on the DD-WRT forums- I don't know if that's what's effecting me, but I'll try it and see what happens.
If you briefly lose your connection every five minutes, that'd be the issue. There's a workaround - but I sure with the DD-WRT maintainers would fix the issue, as it comes up frequently here.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aw » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:47 am
I use an Actiontec GT701D in bridge mode, works great!
by jon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:28 pm
aw wrote:I use an Actiontec GT701D in bridge mode, works great!
Same here -- a GT701D in bridge mode, connected to a router running DD-WRT.
The one thing I don't like about the GT701D is that its display of DSL connection statistics
is pretty primitive, and the download SNR margin always shows as 1 dB, which I hope is
not actually the case.

BTW, using a separate modem and bridge has an additional benefit: if/when the line has problems and
the modem resyncs, your tcp sessions freeze for several seconds but don't disconnect.
by digitalbitstream » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:00 am
Sonic users with the DD-WRT problems can vote on this ticket http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/973
Or, um, at least log in and say "me too".

Right now the maintainers say: "untill u guys dont come up with a 100% solution we can not implement a fix."
by mtom » Fri May 03, 2013 9:40 am
also use a GT701D here. works great.
by Nico » Tue May 21, 2013 9:23 pm
After struggling with an older ADSL modem i just picked up a Netgear ADSL2+ DM111PSP for $35 new. In Bridge mode it's great -- much closer to the connection speed reported by Sonic.
by peteforsyth » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:26 pm
dane wrote:really any ADSL2+ capable modem should be fine.
Yes, one would think -- but that's not my experience! I found that the Netgear DM111PSP is pretty readily available on eBay. I got one, and even with the help of two helpful Sonic support technicians and a firmware upgrade, could not manage to get it into bridge mode!! I finally just purchased another, making sure to get the v2 of the model -- and all was fine. The web interface had options that the v1 did not.

So, at least if you're going with that model, be sure to grab a v2!
15 posts Page 1 of 2