WiFi of Pace 4111N drops 2-3 times per day

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by digitalbitstream » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:54 pm
Ugh.
With an iMac and a Linux machine both, I have unstable 802.11g WiFi. The connection is fine, then it's not.
I have to manually restart the connection on the computer end two or three times a day.

Googling "2wire wifi drop" and other similar searches shows lots of problems, but these are also very common routers. Anyone else have similar problems an any solutions?
by dane » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:55 pm
Support can swap the gear to see if that's the issue. Benefit of equipment rental, right there!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:03 am
...Some other sucker will get the unreliable unit. Downside of equipment rental :-).

I'd pay 50% of the rental fee to get a solid adsl2 bridge instead... then supply a better router and stronger WiFi on my own support dime.
by dane » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:15 am
digitalbitstream wrote:...Some other sucker will get the unreliable unit. Downside of equipment rental :-).

I'd pay 50% of the rental fee to get a solid adsl2 bridge instead... then supply a better router and stronger WiFi on my own support dime.
Returned equipment goes through factory equivalent test and recertification here, including testing of all ports, DSL, analog front end and of course WiFi is tested. New firmware is loaded, and a default config.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:52 pm
dane wrote:Returned equipment goes through factory equivalent test and recertification here, including testing of all ports, DSL, analog front end and of course WiFi is tested. New firmware is loaded, and a default config.
Of course, and that's the right thing for Sonic to do.

But it's never perfect. I buy refurbished stuff in preference to new usually... and can certify that factory certified does not mean "good". Especially for an intermittent problem, the issue just might not show up at the office. The same defective item can roundtrip through the refurbishment process.

(Thus, when returning a defective good I always write down the problem and firmly tape it to the unit... in the hope that will be noticed by whoever is testing the units).
by adame » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:48 pm
(Thus, when returning a defective good I always write down the problem and firmly tape it to the unit... in the hope that will be noticed by whoever is testing the units).
As someone who's tested equipment before, I can tell you notes like that absolutely make your day.
Adam Martinetti
Customer Experience Manager
Sonic.
6 posts Page 1 of 1