Sonic.net in a Murky News article

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by virtualmike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:32 pm
by Guest » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:07 am
Only attractive if Sonic can provide this behind an RT.
by virtualmike » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:41 pm
Blame the regulatory agencies whose staff are in AT&T's deep, deep pockets.
by Guest » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:48 pm
virtualmike wrote:Blame the regulatory agencies whose staff are in AT&T's deep, deep pockets.
It looks like it is possible to deploy vectored DSL from an RT. Since Dane has always referred to their regular DSL product that cuts off at 6 Mbps as "line shared DSL" I presume that they're sharing the RT infrastructure with AT&T and the changes required for vectoring must be performed within the RT to which CLECs like Sonic do not have access.

http://www.assia-inc.com/news-and-event ... ug2010.pdf

The disadvantage is the 100 Mbps maximum only applies to those served within 300m (1000 ft), trailing off to 33 Mbps at 1200m (pg 110 of the PDF). Another problem is non-vectored DSL is shown to have a maximum rate of 47-63 Mbps while that is definitely not the case today. I wonder why there's such a large discrepancy. Maybe it has something to do with the current DSLAMs installed by the telcos.

Looking at the graph I can see why Sonic has chosen to forgo investing in DSL and concentrate on fiber.
by virtualmike » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:52 pm
Guest wrote:Since Dane has always referred to their regular DSL product that cuts off at 6 Mbps as "line shared DSL" I presume that they're sharing the RT infrastructure with AT&T and the changes required for vectoring must be performed within the RT to which CLECs like Sonic do not have access.
"Line shared DSL" is AT&T's standard DSL, and the sharing is between AT&T voice and AT&T data. Sonic.net is reselling AT&T's service, except that those lines go into Sonic.net's cloud instead of AT&T's.

AT&T is not sharing the RTs in any way--it retains 100% control over them.
5 posts Page 1 of 1