DSL Speed of 0.44mbps??!!

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by cindyq » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:16 pm
Right after I activated my dsl (in March), I was getting 3.5mbps. However, my dsl is getting slower and slower, and slower everyday since then. About a week ago, I was getting 0.98mbps. Over the days, I am getting between 0.98mbps and 1.2mbps. Today, I am getting only 0.44mbps. It got to a point that the download speed is so slow, that I can't even send a support email to Sonic. This is ridiculous!

My usage is just for web browsing; nothing intense. Even that, the speed is insufficient! I'm not expecting speeds as good as 10mbps from Sonic with my distance, but speeds well under 2mbps is seriously unreasonable.

Before I switched to Sonic, the company's website ran a test using my address and it says I am about 9K feet away. After I switched, I was told by the support team that I am actually 11k-12k feet away. The test provided on the company's website was misleading and deceptive.

Even so, I do not understand why my dsl speed could be as low as 0.44mbps, with only web-browsing, when the distance is 12k feet away. This contradicts with the "Fusion average speed/distance chart" posted by the company's CEO, and the CEO's statement made on Yelp that the "minimum speed" should be at least 1.5mbps for its dsl customers.
by jleake » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:53 pm
I took a quick glance at your line and the results you're seeing on your speed test seem pretty slow for your actual sync rate. Are you running your speed test while it's the only thing using the connection? If you're not, that will throw off the results pretty severely.

That said, I'm concerned that there may be some other issues affecting your service as well. I'd strongly recommend giving Support a call for some troubleshooting while you're on site. Support is available at 888-766-4233 weekdays from 6 AM - 11 PM and weekends from 8 AM - 10 PM.
Juliana L.
Customer Support, Sonic.net, Inc.
by Cindy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:24 pm
jleake wrote:I took a quick glance at your line and the results you're seeing on your speed test seem pretty slow for your actual sync rate. Are you running your speed test while it's the only thing using the connection? If you're not, that will throw off the results pretty severely.

That said, I'm concerned that there may be some other issues affecting your service as well. I'd strongly recommend giving Support a call for some troubleshooting while you're on site. Support is available at 888-766-4233 weekdays from 6 AM - 11 PM and weekends from 8 AM - 10 PM.
I did contacted support and they told me adjustment has been made to my line. At this moment, I am getting about 2.8mbps with nothing else running. About a month ago, I was able to get 3.5....anyhow, I hope my dsl speed would only go up from here and not fluctuate to 0.44mbps.
by Elizabeth » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:21 pm
For what it's worth, I used to have Sonic Fusion at a distance just a pinch beyond what you reported. It was my experience that due to the age of the phone lines in my area, some days would have better speeds than others. It usually correlated to weather. At our distance, you and I have to worry much more about how old the phone lines are, what quality they are, how they were originally set up, attached to our homes, etc. There are many variables that the staff could not have known when helping you set up, and the information they told you was almost certainly exactly what they knew about the service you could expect.

Unfortunately, 1.6Mbps was just not enough for my private and professional needs at home, and I had to switch to a hellish cable provider in the area last year. I miss Sonic constantly (had them since I was a young teen, back in the 90s). If you can make the 2-3Mbps work for you and your family, I really recommend sticking with them. Their prices and services just cannot be compared with anyone else in the area, and the Sonic folks with do everything they can to help you! The company I ended up with... well, let's just say I check Sonic pretty regularly to see if their services have expanded/changed to cover my immediate area better!
4 posts Page 1 of 1