New webmail format moving items around

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
19 posts Page 1 of 2
by msarch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:59 pm
I've been trying out this new format... lots of complaints:

1. Readability is really very bad
2. Space on screen for email listings is way too small (and I have a fairly big screen)
3. Selecting items to move to folders seems to only able to be done one at a time and by dragging... very cumbersome.
I recently asked:
"Any way to select a folder to move selected items to vs having to drag them??"
Sonic response:
"Dragging the selected items is currently the only option."

This is unacceptable. Squirrel mail allowed you to select separate items to move, select the folder you wanted to move them to, and hit "move", and there they went. Dragging as only option is very bad.
by thulsa_doom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:23 pm
You can select multiple items by shift-clicking or control-clicking them, much as you would in a GUI desktop interface. With multiple items selected you can drag them as a group to whichever folder you like.

If you prefer not to drag-and-drop, you can right-click on a message and select the "move to" option from the resulting menu.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by msarch » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 am
Why not offer a "move to" button like you did with Squirrel Mail? Otherwise, it just means one more "shortcut" that one has to remember how to do, because it's not on the screen.
by jon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:04 pm
thulsa_doom wrote:You can select multiple items by shift-clicking or control-clicking them, much as you would in a GUI desktop interface. With multiple items selected you can drag them as a group to whichever folder you like.

If you prefer not to drag-and-drop, you can right-click on a message and select the "move to" option from the resulting menu.
One problem with right-clicking is that my browser (Firefox 20.0 on Linux) responds with its own dropdown
menu with covers the top half of webmail-beta's menu. It takes an additional right-click to dismiss the Firefox
menu, which I only discovered by accident.

I agree with suggestion to add a "Move to" button in the list view, like what's already available at the upper right
in the mail-reading view.
by kgc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:43 pm
jon wrote:One problem with right-clicking is that my browser (Firefox 20.0 on Linux) responds with its own dropdown
menu with covers the top half of webmail-beta's menu. It takes an additional right-click to dismiss the Firefox
Jon, I'm not able to reproduce that behavior with FF 20.0 (for Mint 1.0) on Mint 14. Do you see the same behavior in other web applications that support context menus? Could there be a plugin that is interfering with the context menu?
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by jon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:36 pm
kgc wrote:
jon wrote:One problem with right-clicking is that my browser (Firefox 20.0 on Linux) responds with its own dropdown
menu which covers the top half of webmail-beta's menu. It takes an additional right-click to dismiss the Firefox
Jon, I'm not able to reproduce that behavior with FF 20.0 (for Mint 1.0) on Mint 14. Do you see the same behavior in other web applications that support context menus? Could there be a plugin that is interfering with the context menu?
My bad -- turns out it was a non-default Firefox security setting I was using:
Preferences -> Content -> Enable_Java_Script Advanced -> Disable or replace context menus.

I'd still like to see a "Move to..." button added to the mail list view, though.
by kgc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:39 pm
Noted. Thanks for the feedback.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by eswolf@sonic.net » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:59 am
The "move" option does not work very well, if at all, if you have a lot of folders. You have to click once for each folder instead of being able to scroll through the list of folders as I could in the previous interface (Squirrelmail). I'm glad to read there is a drag option, since the move option doesn't work for me at all.

I have been going into the previous interface just to be able to move messages into folders, but we are told that will disappear.
by rodrigo » Fri May 24, 2013 4:05 pm
@eswolf

I just got done implementing a fix for this (a moveto select list) in the development version, I'll try to have the next push out to the beta be early next week!
by Guest » Sat May 25, 2013 9:11 am
the move options arent working for me and neither is dragging from inbox-general to sub folders there. in fact there is no way to move anything from the inbox today, except by deletion.
19 posts Page 1 of 2