BETA: mail layout

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by hughw » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:59 am
I use a somewhat tall and narrow browser window, and the mail reader panes seem to have a minimum width that forces a horizontal scroll bar. I cannot find how to adjust the individual widths of the subject, from, and date columns
by kgc » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:09 am
I'm not sure why these columns are all fixed width layout either but even if these were shrunk down, there's not a lot of room in the bar separating the message list and preview pane in the first place. It is likely that the best place for us to gain horizontal space will be by enabling the folder list to be hidden. Whatever the case, we're aware that this is a problem for some people and will try to address it.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by nels » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:39 pm
I see the same thing .. mail runs off the screen. Also a lot of extras that can go like all the space taken by the icons where a "command" will do. Loads real slow - not sonic like at all. Given a choice I would not move in this direction.

-end

Nels
by forest » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:52 am
It's pretty bad in a short window (e.g. a netbook screen) as well. Lots of vertical space is wasted by button bars, and when viewing a message, the header consumes even more space and doesn't scroll with the message body.
by kgc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:48 am
forest wrote:It's pretty bad in a short window (e.g. a netbook screen) as well. Lots of vertical space is wasted by button bars, and when viewing a message, the header consumes even more space and doesn't scroll with the message body.
Forest, I've got some ideas that will condense the templates to be more sensitive to smaller screens and will reclaim some slack space space in the header and side bar. It isn't going to totally fix this issue but should help. We should be able to get these changes out mid next week.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by rodrigo » Fri May 24, 2013 10:40 am
This should be addressed in the newer version down to resolutions of 1024px width. Do you mind checking again?
by forest » Fri May 24, 2013 11:51 am
Width seems to be less problematic now, but height is still pretty bad. Lots of vertical space is still wasted by button bars, and when viewing a message, the header still consumes even more space and doesn't scroll with the message body.
by rodrigo » Fri May 24, 2013 1:22 pm
Which interface are you comparing it to?

I did a comparison to Squirrelmail (since it's the most referred to standard) and found that it's actually smaller. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1253&start=310#p8592

Is it fair to think that the problem is not actually the height of the toolbars, but more that they don't scroll out of view when viewing a message?
by forest » Fri May 24, 2013 1:55 pm
The toolbars are needlessly and annoyingly large on both squirrelmail and roundcube, but roundcube's also cause a major usability problem on smaller screens because they don't scroll out of the way of the real content.

(This is almost what you just said, except that I wouldn't say that the toolbar height would become no problem if it could be scrolled away; I'd say it would be a minor problem instead of a major one.)
9 posts Page 1 of 1