Legacy e-mail going away?

General discussions and other topics.
27 posts Page 2 of 3
by wildfolk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am
Are you using the propel dial-up accelerator?[/quote]

Yes. It would probably be impossible to view anything without it. It still doesn't help much. Anytime I try to click on a message to delete it, it pops up a full screen so I have to read the blasted thing. I don't want to READ spam! I want to get rid of it! Most of the stuff I'm trying to get rid of got past the spam filter. Now I have to spend half an hour to an hour just deleting stuff I don't want. And don't tell me to use your handy-dandy spam filter, because I can't figure it out. It completely mystifies me. Every time I try to tweak it, the spam gets worse, or some of my mail suddenly ends up in the black hole of Graymail. I still can't figure out how to get some of my mail out of there and back in my inbox. It's worse than useless, as far as I can see.

:evil:
by Guest » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:08 pm
I tend to agree with Wild and others that when we NEED a simple, non-flashy access -- we REALLY need it.

When a troublesome file is bottle-necking my Thunderbird, I need to bypass Thunderbird and delete the thing at the server.

Why not leave the old doorways up -- for emergency use.
by kgc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 pm
wildfolk wrote: Yes. It would probably be impossible to view anything without it. It still doesn't help much. Anytime I try to click on a message to delete it, it pops up a full screen so I have to read the blasted thing.
You could disable the preview pane and then select and delete the message(s). It sounds like you might be double-clicking on the messages which causes them to open up full-screen rather than a single click which just selects them.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by blaed » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:30 pm
Gotta log my SERIOUS dismay here.

Sonic webmail interface peeps ... Your new-and-improved webmail interface may be new, but it's by no means improved. In fact, I feel it's a huge step backward. Largest case in point: my entire email address book -- which I have spent YEARS (literally *YEARS*) tending and expanding -- IS NO LONGER ACCESSIBLE in your new webmail application. THIS IS THE SOLE REASON I HAVE STUCK WITH SONIC: to have FULL ACCESS to my ENTIRE EMAIL ADDRESS BOOK from any computer I may be using.

Granted, it was *incredibly* frustrating to have to toggle back and forth between Nutsmail (where said email address folder was fully functional and accessible) and Atmail (which provided more functionality, but zero access to my address book), BUT AT LEAST I *COULD* ACCESS MY EMAIL ADDRESSES. Upon logging in to your new webmail client interface, here's what displays in my "address book" ... SPAM ADDRESSES!!!! That's right. All I see are the email addresses -- sometimes *multiple entries* -- from entities that have sent me spam. All colleagues, friends, family ... gone. Replaced by "Amazon.com" ... "Change.org" ... "Barbara Boxer" ... "Greenpeace" ... And worst of all, not only are my peeps GONE, VANISHED, but the crucially important *NOTES* I'd entered in the "Info" column (within the Nutsmail interface) -- phone numbers, company names, networking connections, spouse names, etc. -- GONE.

Not only do I want my data back, I WANT ALL THE TIME IT TOOK ME TO ENTER THAT DATA BACK. I trusted Sonic. I trusted you and your webmail interface to keep my data intact. Instead, I appear to be headed back to Eudora, or Mac mail, now facing the lengthy, time-intensive prospect of somehow extracting, and then re-entering all of the personal email address data it's taken me years to acquire, store, and save on Sonic servers.
by thulsa_doom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:27 pm
blaed wrote: Instead, I appear to be headed back to Eudora, or Mac mail, now facing the lengthy, time-intensive prospect of somehow extracting, and then re-entering all of the personal email address data it's taken me years to acquire, store, and save on Sonic servers.
Just to clarify, did your address book in Nutsmail fail to copy over, or did you address book information from Nutsmail disappear?

When we put up the new webmail client, prior to announcing it, we copied over address book data from the prior webmail incarnations. This should have resulted in your SquirrelMail/Nutsmail address book (they share their data) and your Atmail address book (the different interfaces for Atmail all share data among themselves) appearing in the address book for the new webmail interface. If there are a large number of junk email addresses in one of those address books, I would expect them to appear in the new client as a result of this copying procedure. No data should have been lost from the older interfaces as a result.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by kgc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:48 pm
Just to clarify a couple of points.

1) Address books are copied/merged the first time someone logs in.
2) It is possible that not all information is copied over properly - there are cases, for example, where the two system may not have the same fields.

I've asked the person in charge of this to look into your address books and see what can be done to improve the migration.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by b0sch » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:14 pm
I can certainly understand the desire to consolidate all the different webmail choices currently available on Sonic.net.

But for what it is worth, as a longtime Sonic.net subscriber, I would also much prefer a less extreme approach, i.e. retaining a single simpler legacy webmail option, rather than doing away with ALL of the current choices in favour of the newer 'Wundermail' option.
by wildfolk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:30 am
You could disable the preview pane and then select and delete the message(s). It sounds like you might be double-clicking on the messages which causes them to open up full-screen rather than a single click which just selects them.[/quote]

Sigh. It doesn't matter what I do. All of the directions are counter-intuitive. If there were check boxes, as in ATmail or Squirrel mail or something, I'd be able to pick and choose which ones I want to delete, but the way things are done in Wundermail, I can't pick and then delete several. I'm not double clicking, but the stupid thing won't do what I want it to, so I have given up. Until I'm forced to use the stupid "innovation", I'll go back to ATmail, which at least makes some sense. :x
by thulsa_doom » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:04 am
wildfolk wrote: Sigh. It doesn't matter what I do. All of the directions are counter-intuitive. If there were check boxes, as in ATmail or Squirrel mail or something, I'd be able to pick and choose which ones I want to delete, but the way things are done in Wundermail, I can't pick and then delete several. I'm not double clicking, but the stupid thing won't do what I want it to, so I have given up. Until I'm forced to use the stupid "innovation", I'll go back to ATmail, which at least makes some sense. :x
Single-clicking on a message causes it to take over the whole screen? What browser are you using?
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by nliten » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:11 pm
kgc wrote:
wildfolk wrote:I have to say, I really hate this. I've tried the others, including the beta version, and I don't like any of the others. For one thing, there is no way, unless you have some secret method not explained, to mark all the stuff I don't want and delete it en mass without opening it. I have no way of getting rid of that stupid window on the bottom so I can see all of the e-mails, rather than only a tiny portion of them.
You can select multiple messages using CTRL and/or SHIFT clicks in the same modality of a native application.
You can hide or resize the preview pane by dragging it up or down, or clicking on the down arrow at the far right side of the bar.

Are you using the propel dial-up accelerator?
@kgc

I find that handling email in a WebMail client that supports well implemented checkboxes, like the AtMail (Advanced IE/FF) interface, much more efficient especially when screening and working with large amounts of email. Checkboxes permit selecting one or more emails without having to constantly use the CTRL and/or SHIFT keys to allow selection of multiple individual email items. One can easily scroll down a long list of email items and not accidentally lose checkbox selected items. It's also easier to review a longer list of checkbox selected items and make adjustments as needed before performing an action.

I've extensively used both and find the checkboxes preferable and superior in most cases.

There is at least one RoundCube plug-in available (don't think it's free though) that adds checkbox-like functionality to RoundCube. I don't know how well it works though. A poorly implemented checkbox feature might be worse than what RoundCube currently offers by default.

On the other hand maybe the plug-in actually adds checkbox capability while simultaneously retaining the current RoundCube functionality including drag-n-drop, etc. That might actually help and appeal to a lot of folks...

http://myroundcube.com/myroundcube-plug ... box-plugin

https://github.com/umount/rcplugin_chbox

Edits: Added additional plug-in resource URL.
27 posts Page 2 of 3