imap.sonic.net not responding in Israel

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by linelle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:35 am
I live in Sonoma County and am currently vacationing in Israel. I have my MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone with me. :lol:

Where I'm staying has wifi and I'm able to access the internet via Safari just fine. I can send email just fine. But I can't access the imap.sonic.net server to download my email. My iPhone is able to download via the local cellular carrier.

I'm stumped. The whole Sonic area of my email folders is grayed out.

I am able to access my email through Squirrel mail via my browser, but that's not my preferred method.

If it helps, I had the same problem at SFO, before I even left the country. Something tells me there is a simple fix, but I'm missing something.

Any ideas/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Linelle
by bbusby » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:27 am
Have you tried running through the Sonic VPN tunnel?

http://www.sonic.net/features/vpn/
by linelle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:57 am
bbusby, thanks for your reply. I'm in Israel until April 20 and then I'm coming home. Hopefully everything will return to working well as it did before. If not... :x ... will at least have the ability to call up the good folks at Sonic Support and have a genius talk me through a happy resolution to the problem. For now, unless the fix is simply head-smackingly simple, I will limp along with Squirrel mail and be glad for it. I did not come this far to spend precious time troubleshooting my computers. It's already embarrassing that I couldn't leave home without my laptop and iPad.
by bobrk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:01 pm
When I try to access imap from my work network, sometimes I see issues that go away when I use the VPN, so I assume that the ports for imap are getting blocked.
by linelle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:31 pm
Dumb question, but if I switched to pop.sonic.net for my trip, would that temporarily resolve the issue? I kinda hate to muck with my mail settings, since it took a bit of tweaking to get IMAP to work correctly across all my devices.
by rodrigo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:33 pm
I will limp along with Squirrel mail
We actually have a new webmail application in beta, that should provide quite a bit better functionality than Squirrelmail.

https://webmail-beta.sonic.net/

That should get you going and eliminate any need for messing with mail settings.

We're asking for feedback here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1253
by linelle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:03 pm
rodrigo, thank you for that suggestion! It's sooo much better than Squirrelmail. Although I'd rather my Mail client worked as it should, this will do nicely until I get back home. I really should spend less time on email anyway on vacation, right? :)

Linelle
7 posts Page 1 of 1