New sonic.net webmail application

General discussions and other topics.
401 posts Page 5 of 41
by zackbrewer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:36 am
Thanks for all your work on the new webmail! I think it's a huge improvement over the previous sonic webmail. I love that you can display email threads now: I had really gotten used to that in Gmail and Thuderbird and was missing it. I agree with the commenter above however:
more comments: you're wasting all this screen space with your logo and overly large function keys.
This will take up a lot of space on my little net-book. I was thinking I might use the mobile version on my netbook, so I tried to look at the mobile version on my Android phone (JB Dolphin) and it looked the same as the desktop version. Is there a specific URL for the mobile version?

I'm also not a huge fan of the color scheme/linen background graphic. If there are no options to customize these things, I think it would be best to have black text on white background, with color only used practically to distinguish things like read vs. unread, priority, sent vs. received while viewing threads, currently selected email/folder, etc.

Lastly, I would be ecstatic if you re-implemented some of the more advanced features of the old XUL webmail, especially the PGP encryption. The idea of being able to use PGP in webmail blew my mind! Thanks for even considering that! I know most people won't use it, but it's important for as many people as possible to have the option.

Thanks again!

PS To the nayayers: I don't give a flying squirrel about squirrel mail. Here you have a chance to give your personal feedback on something newly created and all you can do is complain about how you might have to learn something. Sheesh. Show some gratitude! Sonic developers: please keep in mind that people who are dissatisfied are much more likely to post here than people who are satisfied. The majority of people using the new webmail are probably happy with it.
by rmj52 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:45 am
How can I delete a message or multiple messages from the inbox or trash without having to open them first? The delete icon will not activate until a message has been opened. Also, how can I delete multiple messages at once?
I used to be able to click each message and delete an entire list at once.
This new system seems cumbersome to me.
by imteresa » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:01 am
When I hit "Reply" on an e-mail, it automatically jumps me to the bottom of the e-mail chain to start typing my response instead of the top. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks!
by kgc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:19 am
imteresa wrote:When I hit "Reply" on an e-mail, it automatically jumps me to the bottom of the e-mail chain to start typing my response instead of the top. Is there any way to fix this?
You can control this behavior in the settings.

Settings -> Preferences -> Composing Messages -> Main Options -- you'll see "When replying" and the pull down to select between the two behaviors.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by neodruse » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:30 am
Interesting. I have a Blackberry Playbook and it no longer fits my screen. Also, how do I turn off the preview space so I don't open bad emails accidentally? The old email Basic version worked fine. Is there a similar simpler version for mobile devices?
Thanks
by joemuller » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:35 am
When I hit "Reply" on an e-mail, it automatically jumps me to the bottom of the e-mail chain to start typing my response instead of the top. Is there any way to fix this?
Indeed there is - if you go to Settings (the gear button in the upper right), then Preferences -> Composing Messages, you can change the Reply behavior via the 'when replying' option under the 'Main Options' section.

I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by kpyle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:03 pm
Some thoughts about the proposed new email interface:

POSITIVE
It is certainly prettier than the squirrelmail interface.
I like the way that the names of attachments are displayed along the right side of the email; it makes it harder to miss them.

NEGATIVE
The fonts seem to be smaller, and the contrast between the fonts and their backgrounds is much less, both of which make both the list-of-emails, AND the email-content, quite a bit harder to read.
Before I could access the new email program, it forced me to enter a "name" that will be automatically added, along with my email address, to all outgoing emails. Problem is that I use a variety of "names", and sometimes no "name" at all, depending on who the email is going to. If I forget to choose a name when the field is blank, there is no real harm done. If I forget to choose a name and there is already the wrong name in the field, it will be very confusing to recipients who are expecting a particular name or no name at all.
With the messages list AND the content of a message both visible, there is NOT a decent amount of space for either and I am forced to do a lot more scrolling to see what I want to be reading. Yuck!

UNKNOWNS
I access my mail from a wide variety of machines/systems (when on the road, at the homes of friends, and when my latest computer is messed up). Will this new email program work quickly and easily with Windows xp, Windows 98, and old MacIntosh computers, or only with recent Windows systems?
by -dk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:05 pm
It's depressing to be greeted by a nearly black log-in box (coffin-ish?). And the gloomy, dark band at the top of the mail page (desktop version) certainly takes up a lot of room, more than SquirrelMail. What is the icon? It looks like the Staples Easy Button ... why is it located in the center of the message area? And what does it mean to "compact" your mail?
by kgc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:39 pm
-dk wrote:And what does it mean to "compact" your mail?
Compacting a folder is something that you probably won't ever need to worry about unless you are are accessing your mailbox from another IMAP application. In some cases IMAP clients will mark messages as "deleted" but not actually delete them - compacting (or expunging) the folder actually goes through and deletes all of the messages.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by msarch » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:44 pm
I tried it out and am REALLY HOPING you don't make us use this! It's hard to read, and there is less of your email on screen at one time. You have to scroll more to see more of your email. The list on the left takes up too much room and again forces you to scroll down to see the entire list of categories in your inbox. The format and look is terrible. It's hard to read and hard to see what is new email. I have not tried to send anything using this format as yet... I was too depressed just looking at it and trying to figure it out. Please don't get rid of Squirrel mail. It's simple and easy to read.
401 posts Page 5 of 41