Bait and...

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by dpepperdine » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:08 am
I was going to sign up with Sonics. But it turns out the $40/month + taxes and fees is fake.
Fake because, it's really $53/month with taxes and fees. Because of the modem and ATA rental charges which are required.
Sonics gives you no option to buy the equipment (or use your own).

Apparently their support is great. But I HATE HATE HATE bait and switch with unbridled passion.

While I understand their need to regulate the equipment they use, they should at least allow us to purchase it (instead of renting) to make the $40/month + taxes and fees number real. Or just say $53 + taxes and fees and be done with it.

Because I can't really get the $40/month rate. It's just not real.
by cmeisel » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:41 pm
False.

1. When people sign up Sonic provides a $10 discount for the first year so it still is +Taxes and Fees
2. Sonic (if you don't use Sonic over ATT but their own Fiber) is NOT requiring anybody to use their modem. It is 100% optional and you can connect your own router straight to the ONT.
by pokute » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:40 am
Deceptive.

Sonic requires you to hold one of their modems, even if you don't use it, during the period of any promo offer. After that they charge you $6.50/month FOREVER. There is no straightforward way to RMA the modem after the promo period. The Sonic webpages only tell you how to RMA the modem after service cancellation. I am currently trying to RMA my unused, unopened modem.
by philehrens » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:38 pm
They charge $11 to return the modem, and they send you a "scary" letter telling you that they will bill you up the wazoo if you need home service after you return the modem. Of course, AT&T will happily fix any problem you have with your wires for free because they love the opportunity to offer you competing service. They told me about a fiber deal, 5 times faster than my Sonic Fusion, with a fixed IP and reverse DNS, for the same price as the Fusion.
Yeah Sonic, this is the kind of grief you bring on yourselves when you act like you are the only game in town.
4 posts Page 1 of 1