shortcut to FTP subdirectory

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:29 am
Our organization has basic hosting. Our website includes many linked documents (which we also host). I upload these via FTP. Our directory structure is somewhat elaborate due to being moved from another host, and needing to keep links intact, so every time I want to upload, I have to click through 4 levels to get to the correct subdirectory.

Is there a way to put a link to this subdirectory in the root FTP directory so I don't have to manually click through multiple levels every single time I want to upload a document? I tried setting the default directory (in Filezilla/advanced settings) to the path that appears in Filezilla when I am viewing that directory, but that had no effect.
by thulsa_doom » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:01 am
You can create symbolic links on the shell server, but I do not believe Filezilla is capable of doing that; you'd need to connect to our shell server and do it via command line interface.

Alternately you could set up separate Filezilla profiles, each with a different default remote directory.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by Guest » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:35 pm
I'm not sure I understand how separate Filezilla profiles would help me go directly to a sub-sub-sub-sub-directory.

I do have another FTP client that can do FTP commands. What commands would I use to create the shortcut, and what directory would I put it in?
by virtualmike » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:08 pm
Guest wrote:I'm not sure I understand how separate Filezilla profiles would help me go directly to a sub-sub-sub-sub-directory.
When you configure a site in FileZilla (via the Site Manager), you can go to the "Advanced" tab and enter the path to the directory you'd like as the default. Once you do that, when you connect to the ftp server using FileZilla, FileZilla will automatically cd to that directory, so you won't have to click through the four levels to get there.
by Guest » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:19 pm
Setting the destination folder in Filezilla worked the second time I tried it. I may have had multiple instances of Filezilla open and connected to the same account during my first attempt, so that the settings change didn't take. I don't think I need multiple profiles, since 99% of the time I'm going directly to the 4th level subdirectory. If I ever need to visit a different one, I can just change the target in FileZilla before I connect, now that I know how.

My clicker finger thanks you for your help, everyone!
5 posts Page 1 of 1