DSL Availability

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by george3832 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:35 pm
I am trying to get a Sonic DSL connection for my business to replace an existing AT&T DSL product and I am running into some convoluted problems. I talked to a Sonic rep today and he told me that Sonic could not originate an order because, although Sonic serves my area, AT&T is reporting no facilities available for DSL. So then I talked to an AT&T rep and requested a change on my current DSL service and she told me that no more DSL connections or changes (other than upgrades of current service) are being allowed in my area. The ONLY Internet service they are offering now is AT&T U-verse. Of course that product is ONLY offered by AT&T and has no competition. I asked her if new DSL service from competitors was still going to be available. The answer was not very clear. So what is up with this? Can AT&T lock out competition by eliminating DSL equipment and only supporting U-verse, and thus locking thier customers into there own product?
by wa2ibm » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:19 pm
The quick answer to that is YES they can lock you into only their service thanks to their bullying of the FCC.

Sonic offers two types of DSL. The first is legacy DSL through existing AT&T facilities (DSLAMS). AT&T is required to share these facilities with competitors, but only to the extent that the facilities are still "available". Of course, AT&T determines what's available, either directly from the CO or from Remote Terminals.

Sonic also offers their Fusion service, which involves Sonic equipment co-located at AT&T Central Offices. However, this also required AT&T maintained copper pairs from the CO to your location.

For both of these options, AT&T copper is required. When they're deploying U-Verse to an area, they make sure that none of the previous facilities are available for competitors, and they've gotten the FCC to agree that they don't have to share their new fiber facilities with competitors as well.

Your only alternative is cable (Comcast, Cox, etc.). You can hope that at some future point, your area will be serviced by Sonic fiber which doesn't involve AT&T in any way.
by george3832 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:34 pm
Thanks. Looks like no access to Sonic or any other competitor in that case. In my case that leaves me with AT&T, cable, a regional wireless provider out of Santa Rosa, or, of course, sattelite. No great choices. Its a choice between the two non-competitive monopolies or alternative competitive but high cost technologies. I certainly hope that Sonic can roll out the fiber, but I have little hope of Sonic getting up to my area in my lifetime. But thanks for the quick answer.
3 posts Page 1 of 1