Wordpress Issue - Technical Support Said to Post in Forum!!!

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by Julia » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:12 am
I called the "Technical Customer Service Support" line, and was told that they do not handle these types of questions, that I should post in the forum for a response. So I am reposting this questions in the hope that someone will know what I am doing wrong.

I installed Wordpress in the root directory of my site (Where the index.php file is located) using an FTP, and yet when I go to http://example.com/wp-admin/install.php (inputting my website address for "example"), I get this message:

"The requested URL /wp-admin/install.php was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I am not sure why this is not working as instructed?!?!?!?!

If it helps my url is www.mexicolindograton.com

Any help would be wonderful!

Thank you!!
by thulsa_doom » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:11 am
Hello,

It looks like a couple things went askew here. First, it looks like the Wordpress files aren't in your mexicolindograton.com directory, but one level up.

Second, if you are installing Wordpress yourself instead of using the oneclick installer, you will want to enable PHP5 on your site. Otherwise you'll just run into an error "Your server is running PHP version 4.4.9 but WordPress 3.5 requires at least 5.2.4." We have instructions for this up at https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Php5
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by Julia » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:22 am
Thank you for responding!!

I have been trying to fix the issue on my own and I DID receive the error you said I would, "Your server is running PHP version 4.4.9 but WordPress 3.5 requires at least 5.2.4."

Should I enable PHP 5.2 or PHP 5.3?

Thank you!!!!
by Juli » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:49 am
I did what you recommended and followed the instrcutions to enable the PHP5 (I tried both types), and I am still receving the error message.

Thank you again for any help!!
by thulsa_doom » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:58 pm
It looks like your .htaccess file had a ".txt" extension on the end of it. I took the liberty of renaming the file for you. You should be able to run the Wordpress installer now. You'll want to have your MySQL database auth info (server name, database name, username, and password) handy for the installation process.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by Julia » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm
Thank you so much!!!

For future reference, the .htaccess doc should be named ".htaccess", exactly. Not ".txt" ?

Thank you again!! I really appreciate all your help.
6 posts Page 1 of 1