The coming copper feud

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by wa2ibm » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:56 pm
From many articles, blogs, and other sources, I see a big conflict coming between AT&T and the competitors that ride on the back of what has become "Legacy" copper networks.

I continue to believe that once AT&T has a majority of their customers switched over to their FTTN (U-Verse) infrastructure, they'll attempt to abandon their older copper infrastructure. They've already asked the FCC to allow them to do so. This would include their CO's and Remote Terminal infrastructure.

Since they don't have to share U-Verse, they'll do this to cut competitors off at the knees. What happens to Sonic services (Fusion and traditional DSL) when AT&T attempts to shut down these legacy networks? The competitors only recourse would be to purchase those assets, along with the cost of maintenance, to stay in business. This isn't going to be pretty.

My thoughts on this are that since AT&T received many tax incentives to originally install the copper, and it's been depreciated over time as well, is that AT&T should be required to transfer this old infrastructure to another entity at a nearly zero cost. It's essentially a public asset anyway. This would give the competitors a platform on which to build out their networks, but more importantly, would provide them with the ability to run fiber in the existing raceways and pole attachments they'd inherit with the legacy copper. Maybe a consortium of competitors could take on the old infrastructure as a cost+ business.

Just thinking out loud. . .
by virtualmike » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:54 pm
It would only seem fair. AT&T doesn't want it. But I have a fear that AT&T doesn't want anyone else to have it, either.

Put it up for bid?
by paul » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:16 am
Gee whiz! I'd think the gummint would get annoyed at the abandonment and probable destruction of a working critical infrasructure which had a lot of public money put into it over the years. This would be like what happened the rail public transit systems in the 1950's, which are now being rebuilt at the cost of billion$.
Opps! I gotta go, they're coming to take my away, HA HA.
3 posts Page 1 of 1