replacing ancient NID

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by tjs4509 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:34 am
My home has an ancient 1950s-era NID, which I want to replace with a more modern one with modular plugs.
I am planning to switch my phone/internet service from AT&T to Sonic.net, and am wondering if it makes more sense to replace my NID before or after switching.
I have heard in the past that AT&T will install a modern NID for free -- is that still true?
by wa2ibm » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:04 pm
You can call AT&T now to ask that they replace your NID, especially if you don't subscribe to their inside wiring maintenance plan. Personally, I would go this route.

However, when you place your order with Sonic, you can make a note of the old NID in your order and ask that Sonic have AT&T replace your NID at that time.

Either way . . .
by clairet » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:29 pm
AT&T tends to hate installing new NIDs so I would recommend you call them before you switch over. It is possible that they may be more willing to change it if you are their customer. Usually they won't change it unless it is causing problems with your service but it never hurts to ask them.
Claire T.
Sonic.net Technical Support
by dane » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:58 pm
If you have an old NID without a test jack, my understanding is that AT&T must replace it - else the customer cannot engage a point of test on the unit, and trouble cannot be isolated between the network and the premise.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1