Sudden Weird Challenging FTP Problems

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by Carla » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:40 am
After years of normal use, I am suddenly unable to ftp files to my my (work) sonic directories. I get error messages that the server has "forcibly" reset the connection, that I do not have access, or I need to check the file/directory permissions. The result is a file that's listed as being on the server, but at 0 bytes, and can't be opened.

I have not been able to figure out WHAT I am doing wrong. Sonic has been unable to figure it out. What could possibly have happened? Anyone like a good puzzle?

Problem IS:

all file types I tried (pdf, jpg, doc, html)
several ftp clients (filezilla, cuteFTP)
occurs at work and at home (different networks)
all levels of my sonic file directories
new, empty folders or existing folders
consistent - has been that way for a week, without change

Problem is NOT:

my own (non-work) sonic account - I can ftp files to it, at home or at work
other file operations - I can see all the directories, I can move files or delete them, just not put them
the files themselves - they open and behave normally
that I am over quotas - reviewed all our usage with Sonic yesterday, there's no issue there
our account/billing - is all fine

Can anyone advise? I would love some help. At the moment, I am not sure what to do, or what to try. I know the problem has got to be findable, but I think it's beyond me. :(

Thanks!
by carla » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:26 pm
May be worth noting that I can move a text file if it's small enough, seems to go up before the server "forcibly" closes the connection. 10kb seems to be the limit.
by virtualmike » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:20 pm
I'm having trouble getting the testfile.compressed.10meg file (which I do regularly to test my line's speed).

I can log in, CD to /pub, and change to binary with no issue. After typing "get testfile.compressed.10meg" I see "200 PORT command successful," but the file is never transferred.

Hmmmm... even a "dir" never returns a list of files. I just see the ftp> prompt ~30 seconds later.

I'm wondering if the FTP server (or its host) is wedged.

It's too late to call Support this evening, but I'll send a transcript of the session by email.

[Update: I guess I didn't wait long enough after doing an ls. I just got "425 Unable to build data connection: Connection timed out."]
by virtualmike » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:03 am
@Carla, are you using Windows' FTP client? Or another FTP program?

I've narrowed my problem to the FTP command line utility built into Windows. I can connect successfully to ftp.sonic.net and log in, but as soon as I try to transfer anything (whether GETting a file, or doing an LS), I get timeouts and never receive any data.

However, if I use FileZilla or IE, I can get the file or a directory listing with no problem.

Sonic.net team: have any changes/upgrades been made to the FTP server in the past three days? I was able to use Windows' FTP as recently as Tuesday with no problem. ...thanks!
by Guest » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:10 pm
What IS Windows FTP client? I'm sorry, I don't know. Is that the command-line ftp available through Windows? I tried it, but to be honest I could not remember the commands because I hadn't done it in, so long, so no, I am not sure if it will work that way.

I can get directory listings with Filezilla or CuteFtp with no problem. I just can't upload files.
by virtualmike » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:39 pm
Guest wrote:What IS Windows FTP client? I'm sorry, I don't know. Is that the command-line ftp available through Windows?
Yes.

I just learned the issue was caused by a setting in my router that got changed. I don't know how, but it's fixed now.
by Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:26 pm
What router settings? I have updated the router firmware...what might I have messed up?
by virtualmike » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:03 am
In my case, it's in the WAN settings, under NAT filtering. Somehow, it got toggled to "Secure," instead of "Open."

"Open" /= "no filtering." But "Secure" has more filtering than "Open," which seemed to be just enough to cause a problem for Windows command line FTP.
8 posts Page 1 of 1